Monday, April 11, 2016

I is for Isolation

I am participating in an A-to-Z blog challenge this month. My theme is the music of my life.




In August of 1984, we moved to the Washington, DC suburbs. What a shock. We went from a small town where we knew a lot of people to a teeming metropolis where we knew no one and no one knew us.
The kids at my new school were much more sophisticated than me; they dressed like the models in Teen magazine, and their conversations revealed concern with name brands and popularity. I hated it. I wanted to jump right back in the car and retreat to Tennessee. I felt intensely isolated and lonely for my family and friends.
But that was not to be. Mom got a job at an insurance agency, and I trudged off to the 7th Grade.  
The Bananarama song “Cruel Summer” was my anthem.



4 comments:

  1. I can see why that song would have been something you could relate to. It is hard to move into such an environment like that when you are used to a smaller town atmosphere. Son did his senior year of high school down in the Laguna Beach area after we moved from Montana (actually it was a good thing that we did move, he wouldn't have graduated if we stayed up there, but that's another story for another day). Kids were driving to school in Porsches, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc. He had a Suzuki Sidekick. He managed to graduate (thank God) but it was a cultural difference indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small town to big town is always hard (especially when you're in school and have to fit in). I'm sure Montana to Laguna Beach was a BIG adjustment! Culture shock!

      Delete
  2. I think this is an underestimated form of culture shock: big town, small town or city/country. I've always been a city boy, and always will be I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think I would always be a city girl, but I have transformed and now long for the country...

      Delete