Friday, June 27, 2014

And....the best book I read this month is...

I'm participating in a bloghop through The Armchair Squid (I love these guys!). I'm sharing a review I posted on Goodreads of the best book I've read this month. I'm really excited about this book for many reasons. First of all, a friend and colleague wrote it; second of all, it's a genre I would normally never read; and finally, it was an advanced read. It can be preordered, but it's due to be released July 22nd.

I used to read some fantasy as a kid, but as a jaded adult, I've gotten away from books that suggest supernatural powers. And yes, I teach high school, but I rarely read YA fiction. I prefer to read adult, broody, domestic dramas with lots of fighting and turmoil. So....it was refreshing to discover that Bethany Masone Harar's YA novel, Voices of the Sea, transcends all of my notions about fantasy and YA fiction. It is a superb novel for young or mature adults. Fast paced, beautifully written, and pleasantly surprising.

Here is my official review:

21845621


This creative tale of modern sirens and their struggle for survival against the Sons of Orpheus (a sort of mythological mafia)is a riveting read!

Harar's adept storytelling breathes new life into the classic myth of sirens and their origins. Using equisite description and well-placed mythological markers, the novel is packed with the sensual and the magical, rocking and lulling like the siren's voice and the sea itself.

Full of plot twists and well-paced action, this story of a young woman faced with future responsibilities and leadership roles within her clan is not simply a YA book—adults will also enjoy the sophistication and darker elements of the story. Action, adventure, love, and family are all a part of this exciting and beautifully written novel.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun one. I actually read a lot of YA, so I'll be sure to check it out!
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, I'm trying to get into more YA. I still gravitate to contemporary literary fiction, but some of the YA books really surprise me.

      Delete
  2. How exciting for your friend, Ms. Harar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! I just finished a book Apron Strings by Mary Morony; it was interesting. I'm enjoying using my son's tablet to read books and this one was free from Amazon, can't turn that down :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, you can't beat freebies! Although I still love the feel of books in my hands, I am learning to enjoy reading electronically as well. I'll have to check out Apron Strings....

      Delete
  4. Wow, that cover jumps out at you, doesn't it? I love the Armchair Squid. So many great challenges. I find myself doing all of them because they're so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I love the Armchair Squid! Blogging doesn't come naturally to me, so it helps to have some prompts!

      Delete