Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Waiting for the Cover...and holding my breath!

My publisher contacted me yesterday to let me know that they were finishing up the cover and I should have it be close of business today. I'm excited...but nervous. What if I don't like it? What if it doesn't represent the novel? I can always find a "what if" to worry about. Ultimately, it's in God hands, but meanwhile, I thought I would post some book covers I really like.


This is Francine Rivers' new novel. I love her books anyway, but I love the old, slightly glamorous look of this cover. Right away I can tell this is probably set in the 50s, the palm trees scream California, and the pose of the girl leaning against the car suggests Hollywood. It gives me a pretty good idea of the novel's themes. I'm excited to read this one.





This cover actually enticed me to read this novel. I've read a few of Nicole Baart's books and love her literary writing style, but there are many of hers I've not yet read. While trying to decide which one to buy, this cover jumped out at me--I thought it was really striking. It's curious and a little dark--suggests a mystery or something gone terribly awry. It turned out to be an excellent novel--part mystery, part domestic drama.




And here's a classic for you. Many have probably read this book in high school or college. It's a broody, coming-of-age novel set in World War II at boy's boarding school. If you haven't read it, it's a fabulous read--complex and sad with many layers.  I love the muted tones of this cover--the boy at the front of the scene in full contemplation--the setting in the background. It's a well-balanced cover.

Now back to my wait...

9 comments:

  1. Hope by now you've seen the cover and you like what you saw :) I do get attracted to books but their covers and their names (kind of like blog names attract me). Itis interesting then to read what the book might be about before I decide to buy it or check it out from the library.

    Good luck with the book!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I agree. I almost always buy a book based on the cover. I've passed up many a book because the cover simply didn't look interesting or wasn't my kind of reading.

      Delete
  2. ooo, waiting for a cover is so exciting! these are lovely - and i bet yours will be too!

    and i wanted to thank you for commenting on my Broken Branch Falls blog tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara! Thanks for stopping by! I'm really looking forward to reading your book. And speaking of covers--I love yours!

      Delete
  3. Covers are always a nerve-wracking experience. For me, they come without warning, so I don't have time to get nervous. Unless you count the .5 seconds I spend scrolling down! Good luck...can't wait to see it! Let me know if you need help with the cover reveal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! I self-published my first novel, and I had a lot of control over the cover. The self-pubbing company made first one, which I liked, but because my husband is a graphic designer, he created a second one which we ended up using (he makes BEAUTIFUL book covers). But this time, I have no control....Ach!

      Delete
  4. Urg, blogger's giving me a bit of trouble commenting, so this might be comment #2 from me. Just want to wish you luck with receiving your new cover! I hope you love it, and if you don't I don't think you should be afraid to give your honest feedback to your publisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicki,
      Thanks. The publisher is still tweaking cover, as we've decided to go with a different concept from the one they originally sent me.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your cover. How exciting!

    You know, I read A Separate Peace years ago and, while I think I liked it, I don't remember a thing about it.

    ReplyDelete