Friday, July 17, 2015

Favorite Things Friday: Vacation




Vacation is all I ever wanted…

Remember The Go-Go’s song from 1982?
 

I’m one of those really weird people not necessarily into sandy beaches and Caribbean cruises for vacations. For many years my idea of a vacation was sitting in an English pub watching rain course over beveled glass on Shakespearean windows; climbing winding stone stairs of old, decrepit castles while watching my breath form in puffs before me; or tromping over wet meadows in Wales with cold wind whipping off of the ocean while stepping over sheep dung. Again—I am not ashamed—I’m weird.
 
 



Although I still think these are my favorite images for a vacation, this year I’m happy to stay in the good old US of A and explore more domestic territory. I already toured Biltmore this summer and enjoyed an eat-a-thon in Asheville, N.C., so that’s scratched off my list. Here’s my revised summer travel hit list:

1.    Gatlinburg, Tennessee: I used to go there as a kid, but I haven’t been since I was around ten years old. I remember this really great haunted house I ran through with my eyes closed. I’d sort of like to do that again. Plus, I hear there are great places to eat there.

2.    Nashville, Tennessee: Yes, I know these are both in the same state, but as most of you know Tennessee is my home state. And I really love my home state. I’d like to go to Nashville to see some good live music (my husband and I are both music lovers). I also hear Nashville has great restaurants.

3.    Winchester, Virginia: This is an odd choice because it’s only an hour from where I live, but I’ve wanted to go there for a while. I’d like to stay in a B&B and take in a few historical sights.  There’s also a restaurant there called One Block West that looks really good.

So there we have it. You probably get a pretty good idea of what my husband and I like to do on our vacations—we pretty much eat our way across town.
 

Anyone who has been to any of these places have any recommendations for good restaurants with great food and atmosphere?

 

7 comments:

  1. This is funny; your comment box says to me in yellow "your comment was published" and I haven't written a comment yet. I hope this takes, LOL.

    If you go to Nashville, I bet you might connect with Stephanie.

    I haven't been to any of those areas you mentioned that you would like to go to. We tend to vacation within driving distances, LOL (I'm not a flier).

    I like to people watch on vacation and like you and your hubby, we do check out restaurants while we are on vacation; always looking for local favorites.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, it's funny you said that about not flying. I'm a reluctant flyer, but this year I decided I did not want to fly anywhere. That's really why we chose those places. Hopefully we'll make it to at least one of them this year. I don't blame you at all about sticking to driving distances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I love the beach, I totally agree. I'd rather be in a pub or out in the terrain of a foreign country, too. My experience in Ireland opened my eyes to a world I didn't know or understand until we went. And I can't wait to go back. I do love Winchester. But I haven't been in so long. Wish I could give you advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, Erin. Maybe you can advise us on Ireland. We'd love to go this year.

      Delete
  4. I think your list sounds great and I am all for planning a vacation around food. I've been to Biltmore! I did my first ever wine tasting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great. Yes, we did one of those too. What did you think of the wine?

      Delete
  5. Gatlinburg--PANCAKES! There's also a whole new area in Pigeon Forge with a big ferris wheel. I'm given the impression it's like Downtown Disney in Orlando--lots of restaurants and shops and such. I want to go see that!!!

    ReplyDelete