Friday, August 21, 2015

A Summer Concert with Frankie Valli


When I was a teenager, my friends and I were always attending summer concerts. That was in the mid-1980s and the bands looked more like this.
 

Recently, I’ve been taking in some concerts at our local venue, Wolftrap Center for the Performing Arts. They are an outdoor arena with seating under cover as well as on the lawn. If you buy tickets for the lawn, you can bring a lawn chair, food and drinks, and then you just sit back and enjoy. For a friend’s birthday this week, I joined her and her husband for an evening under the stars to see Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. Now, I’m not particularly a fan. As a matter of fact, all week I was telling people that I was going to see Frankie Avalon. Oops. Once, I got there I realized I had the wrong Frankie.

Frankie V. was well before my time and no, I haven’t even seen Jersey Boys. The only song I knew for sure was the theme song from Grease. And I wasn’t even allowed to watch that movie when it first came out. I didn’t see it until I was in my twenties. My whole reason for going to Frankie Valli was to hang out with good friends and listen to some music.

To say I was impressed with this eighty-year-old’s vocal strength, as well as the impeccable harmonies by the Four Seasons, would be an understatement. I was neither the oldest nor the youngest person in attendance, but everyone around me was dancing and singing along to songs like, “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” “Walk Like a Man,” and “My Eyes Adored You.” Over and over I found myself turning to my friends and exclaiming, “Oh, I know this song! I didn’t know he did this one.”
 

There was also some realization for all three of us that we had turned into our parents. Whereas we used to listen to headbanging metal or country music, we found ourselves completely excited by songs from our parents' era. There was something both poignant and disturbing in that notion, but when the band began playing “Oh what a Night” and we all rushed to the edge of the lawn to dance along, age hardly mattered. We were all Frankie Valli fans.

 


What concerts have you seen this summer?

 

12 comments:

  1. Looked like a fun concert! Nice venue for it too! I too am amazed at his age that he would have the stamina for performing! Haven't been to any concerts this summer per se but at the courthouse square here in town every night during summer they have some type of musical entertainment so have caught a few of those for brief times when we were downtown having dinner.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, those are my favorite summer concerts. We have them here in my area too (the town square concerts) and they are so much fun.

      Delete
  2. Great post, except for one teensy little thing. I about fell over when you called Frankie an eighty-something. Crap-a-doodle-doo. I just can't understand it. All the musicians I listened to in the sixties are getting so... old. The Rolling Stones played here at Georgia Tech this summer, and even though I have a ton of their CDs, I just didn't have the heart to try to get tickets. I'd rather think of them as young. (Like me...) Poor Mick's skin looks like beef jerky now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I thought the same thing! I couldn't believe he was 80! He sounded great. Mick looks bad these days...

      Delete
  3. Wow--it IS amazing for someone in his 80s to still be able to sing well. It was sad listening to Olivia Newton-John sing when she was on Celebrity Apprentice. Her voice had aged so much...many people may not have noticed, but I spent my childhood listening to her. Grease was my favorite movie as a kid. I watched it over and over and over. When I watched it as an adult, I was amazed my mom didn't walk us out of the theater when the content got a little inappropriate. But at 8, all of that stuff went right over my head. I sang along with the songs, with no idea what any of it meant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, at 8 I knew every song on that record! Olivia Newton-John was always one of my favorites. I'm sad to know age has deprived her of the voice she once had.

      Delete
  4. No concerts for me this summer. I would enjoy Frankie Valli. Those songs are so catchy.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I was standing, swaying my arms to "Trust in Me When I Say!"

      Delete
  5. I grew up in the DC area and went to quite a number of Wolf Trap concerts back in the day. Harry Bellafonte was my favorite. Lots of sing-alongs for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love oldies. Sounds like a lot of fun, Megan. I haven't been to a concert since I was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy them. I thought I was over them forever until I married my husband who loves them...

      Delete