Thursday, September 24, 2015

Paid For



I’m back up and running this week, although I’m completely bogged down at my full-time job. 

On the writing front, I’m trying to finish the edits on my current manuscript, so I can begin the agent submission process. In addition, the publication subscription for my self-published novel (All that is Right and Holy) is about to expire. Because I published it back in 2009 (prior to the e-book craze), there was no electronic component to the publishing package. I’ve decided to allow the book to expire with its current publisher. I’m going to update it (as a lot of change has happened within the anti-trafficking movement since then), format it for e-book distribution, and re-publish it under a different title. I hope to have that completed and ready to go by the end of the year. Stay tuned for more on that.

In the meantime, this week I’m featuring books on the blog. Today’s book goes with my Thursday sex trafficking theme, but it’s also a book I want to read this month.

http://www.amazon.com/Paid-My-Journey-Through-Prostitution/dp/0717156028



Paid For is Rachel Moran’s memoir of her life as a survivor of sex trafficking in Dublin, Ireland. Prostituted from the age of fifteen to twenty-two, Moran finally broke free from the life. She graduated from university and moved toward a brighter future. She is now an activist combating prostitution in all forms. 

Moran has been instrumental in convincing legislators in Ireland to adhere to the Nordic model of criminalizing buyers of the sex trade rather than the victims. Her message is that prostitution is never really consensual and never okay. 

I love reading memoirs, don't you? I hope to have a full review of Paid For in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, Rachel Moran will be signing books in DC this evening if any of you are in the area. 



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book! I'll have to check it out. I too like to read memoirs, especially of people who had a difficult life/circumstances and were able to pull themselves up from it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memoirs were all the go a few years ago. I don't know if they're as en vogue anymore, but I still love reading them.

      Delete