Friday, October 30, 2015

The Cephalopod Coffeehouse: Six Years


It has been a long time since I’ve read a novel that has made me want to read everything that author writes. I have found that magical connection with the books of Harlan Coben. 



For the second month in a row, I’m choosing one of his books to feature as the best book I’ve read this month in the blog hop through The Cephalopod Coffeehouse
Six Years Paper Back

Six Years is the story of Jake Fisher, a man plagued by the memory of the woman he watched marry Todd Sanderson six years before. He wonders if he missed out on the best thing that might have ever happened to him. Should he have been the one marrying Natalie?

At the time of Natalie’s marriage, he promised that he would leave her alone and never try to contact her. But when he comes across Todd Sanderson’s obituary in the paper, he decides to break that promise and contact the woman who once meant so much to him. Jake attends the funeral to pay his respects, but when he catches a glimpse of Todd’s widow (a woman to whom Todd’s been married for over ten years, apparently), Jake knows the widow is not Natalie.  

As a college professor, Jake is well-versed in the methods of research, and he begins an all-out search for the woman named Natalie. As he tries to untangle the sticky and confusing web of Natalie’s whereabouts, he finds that no one will talk to him, no one remembers him, no one saw or knows anything. Even friends with whom he and Natalie had once socialized don’t recollect ever having seen them together.

In the midst of it all, Jake finds himself entangled a dangerous game that threatens his very life—the life he lives and the life he thinks he lives. Is Natalie’s whole life a lie? Or is his?

Just like The Stranger, Six Years is a compelling page-turner. From the two books I’ve read, Coben appears to a master of the guessing game. What is going on? How did this happen? How will he get out of this?

I love it when an author weaves a tale in which I cannot figure out the answers until the end. Coben does not use plot conveniences, but he capitalizes on jaw-dropping plot twists. His characters are flawed and damaged, yet human and understandable, invoking a willingness to follow and believe them.

I loved this novel, which was recommended to me by my blog buddy and author, Stephanie Faris. She has a great list of books every month, and I always try to snag one from her list to read.

Upcoming for me this month are the following books and their accompanying blurbs from Amazon. I’ll let you know next month if one of them turns out to be my best read of the month.


http://www.amazon.com/Watershed-Wilden-Turk/dp/1515075095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446199649&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Watershed

The Watershed by Wilden Turk

There’s something in the water… Or so believes muck-raking journalist Owen Fisher. When he’s suddenly arrested under suspicious circumstances, he can only assume that his latest article went viral, the one in which he accused the world’s largest water company of selling tainted water. If he’s wrong, only one person’s life is over: his own. But if he’s right, the world as we know it is on the brink of collapse.

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Daughters-Novel-Nicole-Baart/dp/1439197385/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446199690&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Beautiful+Daughters

The Beautiful Daughters by Nicole Baart

Adrienne Vogt and Harper Penny were closer than sisters, until the day a tragedy blew their seemingly idyllic world apart. Afraid that they got away with murder and unable to accept who they had lost—and what they had done—Harper and Adri exiled themselves from small-town Blackhawk, Iowa, and from each other. Adriran thousands of miles away to Africa while Harper ventured down a more destructive path closer to home.

Now, five years later, both are convinced that nothing could ever coax them out of the worlds in which they’ve been living. But unexpected news from home soon pulls Adri and Harper back together, and the two cannot avoid facing their memories and guilt head-on. As they are pulled back into the tangle of their fractured relationships and the mystery of Piperhall, the sprawling estate where their lives first began to unravel, secrets and lies behind the tragic accident are laid bare. The former best friends are forced to come to terms with their shared past and search for the beauty in each other while mending the brokenness in themselves.

Tell me what good books you have read this month. Then head on over and check out some of the great books on the other stops of this blog hop.

14 comments:

  1. That does sound like a good book! I still have the other one The Stranger on my list to read so now I'm going to add this one too. I didn't read anything earth shattering this month that was good. I'm trying to get through my stack of books that are actual books (as opposed to E-books on my tablet) since we'll be moving in about 6 weeks; want to get them read so I can donate them to the little libraries around town (don't know if you have them in your city, but little stand alone buildings, very small, little bigger than a mailbox, can maybe hold 20 books; concept is take one, leave one.) Most of the books I'm reading I bought from various yard sales or other fundraising things, mainly just to buy something, so none are life impacting type of books; easy ready, but not memorable :)
    b
    etty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been totally swamped this month. I'm amazed I read any books. Yes, we do have the receptacles of which you speak. I just need to use them!

      Delete
  2. I've not read anything from Coben, but I hear great things. Thanks for sharing this awesome review. It's certainly go me intrigued!
    Best,
    V:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! So glad you liked it. Did you know it was supposed to be made into a movie? It was optioned and they even had Hugh Jackman attached to star. http://screenrant.com/hugh-jackman-six-years-movie/ When I read Gone Girl, I thought, "She totally ripped off Harlan Coben!" Probably not...but they felt very similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what happened? I wonder why they didn't make it. The book is so good! It feels like it was written to be a movie!

      Delete
    2. I don't know...I heard an author once say her novel had been optioned THREE TIMES. Hollywood is kinda flaky like that. Apparently getting a novel optioned means absolutely nothing until the deal moves forward to actual production. I'm glad to see 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher is FINALLY being made into a movie after they've been talking about it for two years, but it's now going to be a Netflix TV show rather than a feature film.

      Delete
    3. I did hear this from another author. He said that he was optioned five times, and he had all but given up. Then, out of the blue an offer came forth. Weird world.

      Delete
  4. Six Years sounds good. The cover for The Beautiful Daughters drew my attention immediately.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! That is a great cover. I can't wait to start reading it.

      Delete
  5. This does sound like a compelling read! Love me a good page turner ;)

    ReplyDelete