Friday, February 12, 2016

Lenten Fasts and Free Devotionals




Water Reflection

This week marks the beginning of Lent—the holiest time of the year for those of us who follow Christ. Although I often give up or add something (food or otherwise) to symbolically remember the death and resurrection of Jesus, I am not going to do so this year. Instead, I’ve tried to incorporate fasting and prayer into my year-round schedule.

My husband and I have done some extensive fasting and praying lately (the stints have lasted anywhere from three to twenty-one days) for specific prayer purposes. We’ve added to this a concerted effort to read devotionals and pray together daily in an intercession for others. This has made all the difference in our prayer life, our relationship with each other, and our relationship with the Lord. It’s made us realize how we hunger for that interaction with God just as we do with each other.

In addition, I have been blessed with an opportunity to work with Pelican Book Group as an editor. This has been a wonderful experience working with a very special group of people (both staff and authors). For this Lenten season, Pelican is releasing a 40-day Lenten devotional, I Thirst, and I am honored and privileged to be included in this book among very talented authors and staff. Based upon each contributor's favorite psalm, the devotional seeks to remind us that we are in need of God all the time, and we thirst for His presence.

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? ~ Psalm 42:2

You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water. ~ Psalm 63:1


I Thirst is available in e-book or paperback format, and it's free (except for paperback shipping charges). Below you will find the link to order the devotional, and if you have a chance, watch the promotional video.

Link to Order





For those of you observing lent, how will you commemorate the season this year?

8 comments:

  1. I like your concept about incorporating prayer/fasting into your yearly schedule, not "just" the 40 days of Lent. Hubby and me were talking about this just the other day; I'm not knocking anyone who gives up something for Lent, but then usually at the end of the Lent they resume whatever it is that they gave up. My thought was shouldn't we daily be repentant, reflective, and in prayer 365 days a year (366 in leap year?)

    The devotional sounds interesting; could be good to do for any 40 day season too. Thirsting for the Lord is a good thing indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Betty, I think it's too easy to do 40 days and move on. My prayer is to maintain...that's sometimes difficult.

      Delete
  2. I don't think Jesus cares if I give up something for Lent. I don't criticize other people who do so. In fact, I admire you. I carry on as usual, striving to pray without ceasing.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not grow up at a church that celebrated Lent - or any of the Christian holy days. I love that the church we are at now does - it makes so many things more meaningful. I've been sort of stumbling around during Lent - still trying to find how I want to observe Lent. It's been different every year. Our Pastor urges people that if you want to give something up - give up a particular sin. I like that. Thank you for posting about the book - I am going to download it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's a blessing to you, Lisa.

      Delete
    2. It is Megan! So many good thoughts. Your little section was beautiful and painful. Made me cry. I'm so glad you have this opportunity with Penguin.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your new job as an editor...and it's already leading to great opportunities for you as an author, it sounds like. I grew up Baptist, so I've never been a part of Lent, but it sounds like an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete