Monday, March 21, 2016

A-Z Blog Challenge Theme Reveal



We're a few days away from the beginning of the A-Z Blog Challenge, and today is the big theme reveal. I've never used a theme before, but this time I'm going to give it a whirl. So the theme is...

The Music of My Life.

Music has always played a big part in my life. Memories of many of my major (and minor) life events are marked by songs. For the twenty-six days of the A-Z Blog Challenge, I will feature songs that corresponded with some life events from the last three decades of my life. I'll begin at age ten and work my way through. I'm really excited about this, and I hope it will be a walk down memory lane for some of you too.

Since I won't be venturing back into the 70s much, I'll leave you with one from the year I was born.

Although I have no memories from this time of my life (my birth), some twenty-plus years later I was on a London tube one night riding from a central point of the city to my shared flat in Bayswater. A very drunk man staggered onto the rail car just before the doors closed. Within seconds of leaving the station, he began to sing the first verse of "The Day the Music Died (Miss American Pie)". By the time he reached the chorus, everyone in the rail car was singing along--including me.

When we reached Bayswater station, we all went our separate ways, still singing Don MacLean's legendary song.



It's not too late to sign up! http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

10 comments:

  1. Cute theme! I started singing the song, LOL, when I got to it. I was in high school the beginning part of the 70s (graduated 1975) and then working from then on the rest of the 70s. I do remember knowing all the words to this song; a classic!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard NOT to sing along to that song! I think the 70s had the best music. Many of my favorites are from that era.

      Delete
  2. I love this! I was just thinking today about how much of a part music plays in the average person's life. I play SongPop, which is where you try to guess a song in as few notes as possible. I'm usually surprised how many songs in the course of a 30-minute round of playing remind me of different times in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to check out that game. It is amazing how a song can put you right back at a certain place and time in your life--whether good or bad.

      Delete
  3. Music is a wonderful medium, I look forward to see what you have to tell us and which songs you have chosen.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very eclectic taste in music, but I hope to pick some songs everyone knows, and some they don't.

      Delete
  4. Great anecdote you've shared right here. Your theme sounds fun and interesting. Here from the A-Z and wish you the very best.
    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very powerful snippet of the music in your life. There will be more of that? Then I'll follow ^_^

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a very powerful snippet of the music in your life. There will be more of that? Then I'll follow ^_^

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete