Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Nashville Nosh and Other Reasons to Visit

Last week, my husband and I took a trip to Nashville, Tennessee. I've wanted to go for years, but something always came up. I was born in the Volunteer state but on the opposite end in the Tri-Cities area, so it was exciting to finally see Music City!

Many of the places we visited were ones you would expect, starting with the Country Music Hall of Fame.



As part of the ticket package we purchased, we toured Studio B at RCA Victor Studios. This is where Elvis, the Everly Brothers, Dottie West, and many other greats recorded some of their biggest hits.



We did backstage tours at both the Ryman Theater and Grand Ole Opry. I was especially excited to see the dressing rooms where many scenes from the ABC show Nashville were  filmed. (Yes, I know. I'm a bit of a groupie in that way).








At the Ryman I recorded a song (move over Carrie Underwood! Ha! No, not even close)...


And at the Grand Ole Opry we saw a show, which included Pam Tillis, Tommy Emmanuel, Cam, and Justin Moore. Great show! Great crowd of people.



For American Pickers fans, we walked the 1.4 miles from our hotel to Antique Archaeology on a scorching hot day. (You too can own that shrunken Peruvian guy for a cool $2,200!)



Afterwards, we Ubered over to the Hatch Show Print center, where we learned about letterpresses, and the Hatch Show print business which was established in 1879 and is still thriving today.



Did I mention the food yet? No? Well, here are just a few recommendations in case you're traveling to Nashville anytime soon.

Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant in downtown Nashville has fantastic downhome cooking. We also got to hear great live music there. If you have a chance, check out Liz Moriondo. She rocks!



Urban Grub in the 12th South area is outstanding (but make rezzies before you go). We had to wait about an hour, but it was totally worth it.



A little tapas bar called Americano was right near our hotel.  I ate deep-fried Brussel sprouts (and I don't like Brussel sprouts) and cauliflower that was about the best stuff I've ever had.



Midtown Café was having a Julia Child celebration during the month of July. Of course, I had to have boeuf Bourguignon.

And this little place was a treat. Pinewood Social is not only a wonderful eating spot, it also boasts a 1950s-type bowling alley and a swimming pool.



We loved Nashville. It's a big city that still has a hometown feel (but I'm not sure how much longer they can keep that up as people are pouring into the area daily).  Everyone we met was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. A lot of the folks had lived in Nashville their whole lives.

We're already looking forward to our next trip back.

Have you done any traveling this summer? If so, where?

8 comments:

  1. It looked like a lot of fun! So many things to do there and so much yummy food! That would be a hard thing to decide, where to eat and what to eat there! Good memories made there I am sure!

    No traveling this summer; will do something in the fall when it cools down a bit :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that the food was one of my favorite parts! :) Fall is really the ideal time to visit any place. I would venture that Nashville is probably a nicer place to visit in the fall too. The heat was ... well, wow! But you know all about that in AZ.

      Delete
  2. What a fun trip. I'd like to wander around Tennessee. I want to go to Nashville, Graceland, and visit Loretta Lynn's home and museum. I don't see any traveling in my future, but I'm glad you had a good time.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loretta Lynn is one of my favorite people of all time.

      Delete
  3. Oh that looks like a fun trip! I'm so glad you got to go. Did you see the Parthenon? My kids want to go and see it. (It apparently looks just like the original in Rome did.) I love exploring new places and we haven't got to do that in so long. (The biggest downside to having farm animals!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not get to go to the Parthenon, although we really wanted to. We figure we will save that for the next trip.

      Delete
  4. Oh! ... Yours looks like such a fun trip. My taste buds are running amok!
    How I'd love to see Nashville and the Ryman and the Opry. Even my hubby who used to play professionally in Chicago is learning to enjoy country now, so who knows?

    Glad to see one of my former favorites, Pam Tillis, is still around.
    ... oh, and thank you for visiting Respice Prospice. I love company!

    Myra (aka Mevely317)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be a regular reader! Yes, Pam Tillis is alive and well! She sounds great!

      Delete