Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Regency Films at Christmas: Pride and Prejudice

When I was twenty-three, I was blessed to live in England for a year. During that time, the BBC mini-series of Pride and Prejudice was in full-swing. People were going bonkers over the electric chemistry of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, played by Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. Over twenty years later, this version remains a favorite of many P & P fans.



The mini-series was broadcast throughout the fall of 1995, and by Christmas many of my coworkers and friends were receiving the boxset as a gift. A friend gave me the full series, and during that winter I watched it over and over again, practically memorizing every word of every episode. That was also the first year I spent Christmas away from home and family. I suffered from homesickness and loneliness, and there was something soothing about the show and the familiarity and appeal of the characters. I never grew tired of watching it.

For the past five years or so, I've made a point of watching Pride and Prejudice around the Christmas season. It reminds me of that time in my life when I lived and worked in London and tried to absorb the English culture and way of life. Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy remain two of my favorite literary characters, and Ehle's and Firth's portrayal of this couple is, in my opinion, unsurpassed by other film versions.

For those who have never read the book or seen the mini-series, this is a story about manners, morality, status, and the class structure in 19th century England. If you haven't read the book, I can only suggest reading it. If you haven't seen the 1995 mini-series, I believe you will be positively changed by doing so. (I know that sounds a bit melodramatic, but I can only tell you that Colin Firth emerging from Pemberley's lake in a wet and disheveled state will rock your world).

I won't waste space here summarizing the plot, but I will include a link to the first episode of the mini-series. Your Christmas will be merrier if you watch the entire series!



I wish a truly blessed and merry Christmas to you and yours and a very happy new year! 

4 comments:

  1. Definitely the best adaptation of that book ever! I tend to watch it when I'm ill and confined to bed (flu or higher ;-)) My favourite moment is the look on Darcy's face when Lizzie's helping Georgiana at the piano at Pemberley. You'll know the moment :-)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book or seen the miniseries. Maybe a resolution for 2017!

    Merry Christmas!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this mini series! I first watched it at the townhouse with Misha and Jenny. Then I got to own it too. And now I pull Tabby in to watch it with me at least once a year. And oh yes the Pemberley lake scene is great. ;)

    ReplyDelete