Friday, May 30, 2014

The Best Book I Read in May

I'm participating in another group blog challenge hosted by The Armchair Squid.




The point is to identify the best book we read during the month of May.

I'm actually a really slow reader, and I start far too many books at once, which delays me from finishing any of them in a timely manner. This month, I read more than I usually do, so that gives me quite a pool to choose from.

I'm really excited about the book I've chosen, as it addresses a topic near and dear to my heart: infertility. It's also written by a local D.C. Metro area author, Elizabeth Perry Maddrey. Entitled Faith Departed, the novel sensitively and expertly deals with two couples suffering through the inability to conceive, miscarriages, and the toll all of it takes on a marriage.

 
 
What I love about this book is the honesty and raw emotion. Maddrey does not shy away from the tough and gritty side-effects of infertility: the feelings of isolation and anger, the bitterness and the anxiety--all handled without sentimentality or shmulzy, pie-in-the-sky quick fixes.

So that's my pick for May. What's yours?

12 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great subject--and a topic that I can certainly relate to. People are very insensitive to people who don't have children, with no idea why someone doesn't. It's just expected you're supposed to have them. Hopefully books like this one will raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I definitely had issues with people who had kids during the five years we were trying for our own. I won't even go into the insensitive comments, but I finally had to come to terms with the fact that "they just didn't get it" therefore I couldn't hold it against them. :) I wish I could write about the subject matter myself (I've got plenty to say), but it's just too close to home...

      Delete
  2. That does sound like an interesting book; while I'm way past dealing with infertility (but dealt with it in our younger days, our adopted kids are 25/28) I would have "enjoyed" a book like this back then who was willing to tell it straight. This is terrible, I've read some books this month, but can I remember what I read???

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Betty, I understand. I usually don't make through very many in a month's time; this month I read several, and I really had to think about it. By the way, kudos to you for adopting! I'm a huge supporter of adoption, although my husband and I are too old to pursue it.

      Delete
  3. It's great to hear she dealt with the ordeal authentically. I've had friends and family go through infertility, and I know how painful it can be and the wild range of emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki--yes, it's so painful. But sometimes it's just nice to know there are people who understand how painful it is. :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. It's good that there are straightforward books available on this subject now. There sure wasn't much around when some of my friends were dealing with infertility problems in the '60s and '70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I think that's so true. This is subject matter that people are just now starting to speak about openly. It must have been terrible for couples in the 60s and 70s.

      Delete
  5. Best book I read in May, No More Dragons, by Jim Burgen. He takes an honest look at himself and the church and asks us to offer grace and truth. I read it twice. He speaks with an honesty and candor that will upset some and challenge others. What does it mean to let Jesus fix us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela--sounds like a great book. I will add it to my "To Read" list!

      Delete
  6. Megan, welcome to the Coffeehouse! So glad you decided to join us and hope you will for further months as well.

    Sounds like a great book. Emotional honesty in a narrative is both difficult and courageous, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I certainly will continue to do so! Yes, it is a great book and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

      Delete