Friday, March 27, 2015

Favorite Things Friday: The Best Book I Read in March

It's time to reveal the best book I read in March! For those who don't know, I participate in the monthly blog by The Cephalopod Coffeehouse in which we share book reviews and recommendations.

I'm one of those people who buys a book for my kindle and then sits on it for a year before I ever get around to reading it. That's what happened with this book. I started it months ago and then stopped thinking it didn't really interest me. But then I decided to try it again. I don't know if I was more focused on the reading or simply more interested in the story, but this time I found it riveting! My favorite book from March is...


http://www.amazon.com/Big-Little-Lies-Liane-Moriarty/dp/0399167064/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427457475&sr=8-1&keywords=big+little+lies


Big Little Lies is a mystery of sorts, but it's also a domestic drama, and I think that's what I really like about it. I love the combination of mystery and soap opera played out in an Australian suburb. Told through three different points of view, the plot revolves around a group of mothers (Madeleine, Celeste, and Jane) whose children attend the same elementary school. From the beginning of the novel, we know that something really bad has happened. The tension of this event which is yet to come continues throughout the story fueled by snippets of interviews from bystanders, school staff and administration, detectives, and other neighbors. We don't know what has happened or to whom, but it's bad enough that the police are involved. Alongside the mystery, the lives of Madeleine, Celeste, and Jane are laid bare, and the secrets of their-not-so-blissful domesticity spill forth.

Liane Moriarty is my new favorite author. She has this talent for writing storylines about regular people that could easily happen, but the what's-going-to-happen factor is so strong that you just have to read on. Her realistic dialogue is sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes hilarious, but always spot on. Right now I'm reading The Husband's Secret, and the style is similar to that of Big Little Lies (several narrators, domestic story, mystery tossed in for good measure), so if you like Big Little Lies, you might try The Husband's Secret afterwards.

http://www.amazon.com/Husbands-Secret-Liane-Moriarty/dp/0425267725/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427458523&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Husband%27s+Secret

If you're looking for a party this afternoon, stop by my Facebook Party link below from 3-9 p.m and join the party link. I'll be featuring Song from the Ashes from 5-5:30, but there will be other authors in different time slots giving away books, gift cards, and other loot!

Facebook Party Link

7 comments:

  1. Both books do sound good. It is neat to find a new author and enjoy more than one book they write! Have fun at the party! I'll try to remember to stop by, but probably not during your time since that's my work time (unless I sneak out for a minute LOL :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything that illuminates the extraordinary nature of ordinary life sits well with me- like the sound of this writer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. I love both covers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane? I'm in this book? I hope it doesn't reveal too much about Willy Dunne Wooters. He likes his privacy.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooooooooooo this book sounds like a fun read.
    I was a PTA Mum and let me tell you so much stuff goes on that you wouldn't believe.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the cover on Big Little Lies. So cool! I've never read any Liane Moriarty books. I need to give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued. I haven't read any of this authors work before, but it sounds fascinating.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete