Friday, July 11, 2014

Songs of the Summer!

And it's time for another fun bloghop from The Armchair Squid. I'm really excited about this one, as it deals with one of my favorite things:  music!

In this bloghop, summer songs are the topic du jour, and when I think of summer music I think back to a couple of different times in my life.

Growing up in Tennessee, summers were all about riding horses in the mornings and swimming in the pool in the afternoons. I remember my mother and I driving to the barn where we kept our horse, and on the way we'd listen to the soundtrack from Urban Cowboy. Remember that one?


There are a ton of songs off of that soundtrack that remind me of summer, but this is the one I remember belting out at the top of my lungs as we drove to the barn.

Then we moved from Kingsport to the Washington, D.C area the summer I was twelve years old. This was a terrible time for me. I didn't want to leave my hometown, and once we'd moved into our new house, I'd sit in the basement listening to music on the radio. One of the songs that stands out in my memory is "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama.



And of course, who could ever forget this classic piece from 1984?


"Boys of Summer" remains one of my favorite songs of all time.

As I progressed into high school, my musical (and fashion) tastes moved in a slightly different direction. I started wearing a lot of leather, ripped-up jeans, and rock band T-shirts. The summer of 1987 is marked in my memory by this band in general, but this song in particular.


Finally, I'll wrap up this walk down memory lane with the only song to which I danced at my senior prom (my date refused to get up from the table or his ashtray long enough to humor me with more than one dance). This, too, remains one of my absolute favorite songs of all time. My eyes grow misty with youthful nostalgia every time I hear it. (I also like to think of it in conjunction with the wonderful movie Say Anything, so I'm using that youtube video).


So there you have it! Those are my five most memorable summer tunes.

What are some of your summer favorites?


19 comments:

  1. Nice mix!

    Always loved the guitar talk-box in "Livin' On a Prayer" and have been a Peter Gabriel fan since he left Genesis. "In Your Eyes" is great! Haunting and filled with wonderful rhythm and exquisite playing and production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. I've listened to it three times today, and I love the production of the song!

      Delete
  2. "Say Anything" is a wonderfully summer movie of teen love Megan. A cool list of songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't come across too many people who don't like that movie!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I'm sure the transition to Tennessee to D.C. was a rough one - and at that age, ugh. Cruel summer for sure.

    In Your Eyes is timeless, isn't it? Dang...I hope the magnificent trio runs this blogfest again enxt summer because you've inpired me to think up a whole slew of new summer songs (ya hear that Squid, Suze & Cygnus??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki, there were so many songs I could have chosen. I would love to do this bloghop again and again...

      Delete
  4. Can't say they all make me think of summer, but this is a pretty cool list. Sorry about your Cruel Summer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think these songs were just some that I associated with different summers in my life. I could think up a million songs that activate summer memories, though! :)

      Delete
  5. I still love Say Anything. It wasn't the best script in the world, but what an iconic moment when Lloyd holds up the boombox so his beloved can hear the song. I saw Bon Jovi in concert about ten years ago. They played for three hours! Your choices are great.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie,
      I agree. Say Anything is a great movie simply for some of the lines and the "moments" in the movie. I saw Bon Jovi several times over the years, but I think it's been about twenty since I last saw them. They are still an awesome group!

      Delete
  6. I can't believe this is the first instance of Cruel Summer I've seen. :)

    And P. Gabriel's 'In Your Eyes' is just so gorgeous it makes me want to gnaw my fist with ... what is it? Yearning. Sumthin' like that.

    Thanks for playing, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love that image of you gnawing your fist...totally made me laugh. Yes, it's very true. I'm surprised no one else mentioned Bananarama! They were totally cool!

      Delete
  7. LOL, good, I'm not that old yet, LOL. I was on Stephanie's blog and I didn't know the songs she listed, but I do know three of the five songs you listed here, so I feel a bit better :)

    I would imagine that Cruel Summer song was relevant during that particular time of your life. Hard age to move!

    I do like Boys of Summer; I mentioned that on Stephanie's too; that was the first song that came to my mind when I saw this blog hop, and like you, it does remain a favorite of mine :)

    I'd have to do some thinking to come up with other songs from summers past :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's true that this works best when you say--"Oh yeah! I remember that song!" I think "Boys of Summer" really is a classic. It was actually written by the guitar player of Tom Petty's band. They didn't want to use it, so Don Henley took it over.

      Delete
  8. I didn't have the Urban Cowboy soundtrack, but I watched that movie over and over. Debra Winger's acting choices were always odd to me. She'd do strange things that I know were her unique take on the role. Plus, I think she's pretty much admitted to all the rumors about her being extremely difficult to work with on all her films back then. Anyway, there are songs that always remind me of Urban Cowboy, including the one you mentioned and Lookin' for Love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie, I agree that Winger had weird role choices, plus she often died in the movies! I heard the reason the love scene in An Officer and a Gentleman was so "passionate" was because they hated each other so much. Whatever works, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cruel Summer has never been so emotive! Some classic Bon Jovi there- this was a favoured sing-a-long once upon a time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely a great summer playlist! I can't help cranking the radio whenever In Your Eyes comes on the radio. Good times...
    Veronica :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your choices! Horseback riding and then swimming sounds like an awesome summer's day to me.

    ReplyDelete