Thursday, July 31, 2014

Where is Home?

Just a few days ago, my husband asked me which place I considered home? I only lived in Kingsport until I was thirteen, and then we moved to Northern Virginia, so nearly thirty years of my life (give or take) have been spent in this area. But can I really call it home?

Well, it's true that our physical home is here in Northern Virginia...at least for now. But my heart-home is Kingsport and this is why: my entire family is there.

I thought I'd use this last entry on Kingsport to share some visual insight into what I love most about Kingsport.

My mom and stepfather:



My dad, stepmom, sisters, their husbands, and my nieces and nephews:





My Aunt Billye and Uncle Jim (now famous due to his voiceover on the book trailer--ha!)




 I consider my Grandma Mary Ann and Grandaddy Bill honorary Kingsportians, since they lived there until I was 10, and some of my best memories are with them (even though they now live an hour away in North Carolina).





Finally, the memory of my wonderful, wonderful grandmother, Carol (pictured here with my husband), who passed away two years ago (and my grandfather who passed away in 2002):





In my opinion, family makes up the most important components of home.

This will be the last of the Kingsport series, as tomorrow is official book launch day, so I'll be moving the blog in a different direction. Thanks for allowing me to explore the setting of my novel so thoroughly and with such fondness!

Now for the question of the day, where is home for you?

9 comments:

  1. I think you're right. That's why people feel so out of sorts when their parents sell everything and move to Florida. They lose those roots. Your family looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, Stephanie. My dad and stepmom vacation in Florida just a little too much for comfort-level. What IS IT about Florida? Thanks, my family is awesome. :)

      Delete
  2. So after your family moved to Northern Virginia, then eventually your parent(s) moved back to Kingsport, right? Yet you stayed in Northern Virginia probably because of work or hubby's work, right? (just trying to put together things :) Nice looking family you have! Home is where the heart is and it seems like your heart is at Kingsport since your extended family is there :)

    Home to me is Southern California, San Diego area. We moved away twice and came back twice, LOL. Can't beat the weather most days.

    My sister is in the Annandale area of Virginia.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear Southern California is wonderful for the weather! My husband is from Northern Cali--the Bay area. We used to go there a lot when his parents were there, but now they've moved to South Carolina. Yes, my mom and I moved to Northern Virginia when I was young, and then when she retired she moved back to Tennessee. Effectively, both of our families are within a two hour radius of each other--and we're way up here in the D.C. area (due to work, unfortunately).

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Annandale is very close! My husband works in Annandale.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I agree- home isn't always where you are physically. The heart always means more. :) Nice post Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Culpeper is definitely home for me. I've only been away from it for 3 1/2 years of my life. It's such a beautiful town with friendly people. It's a great size, with parks and battlefields and even a little history museum. Davis Street is the happening place to be with lots of culture and dining. I love it here.

      Delete