Thursday, September 18, 2014

Mission Book Signing #1: Accomplished!


This past Saturday I was in Kingsport, Tennessee (my hometown and the setting of Song from the Ashes) for my first book signing. It took place at River Mountain Antiques & Primitives in the middle of the downtown (and right next to the annual Oktoberfest celebration). 
I should preface this by say that I absolutely detest being the center of attention (I think that may be a common personality trait of writers), so the idea of two hours of attention was daunting.
 
 

We arrived around 12:15 and set up (my mom came with me to help with the sales, and my step-father and husband came along to offer moral support). No one was in the store at 12:30, but the signing didn’t start until 1 p.m., so we sat and waited patiently. At first I was afraid no one was going to come. It’s a strange feeling to know that people are coming (or not coming) to see you.






 
 
Around 1:15, people started to flood in. I couldn’t believe it! People who knew me from elementary school (!), people who’d read the article in the local newspaper, people who were friends of family—they were all coming into the store to meet me. And the really amazing part was that people were buying my book!





 Two hours actually flew by, and I had a wonderful time talking to people and seeing family and friends I hadn’t seen in ages.  





It was a relief when it was all said and done and we could head to the clubhouse for the launch party, where friends and family joined us for drinks and food. (Unfortunately, we had so much fun at the party that we forgot to take pictures!) A million and one thanks to my mom and step-father who put lots of time, energy, and dollars into the party!

 Now on to the next book signing this Saturday at Book Lover’sBazaar at Tackett’s Mill in Lake Ridge, Virginia!
 

8 comments:

  1. It's so nice that people showed up. Congratulations. I love being the center of attention, as long as it's nice attention or it gives me the opportunity to compliment someone else.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie! And I agree with you on the opportunity to compliment someone else. You're obviously good at that! :)

      Delete
  2. Looked like a lot of fun! I'm sure the next one will equally go as well!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I hate being the center of attention too! What a great book signing! I'm just smiling at the pictures and what you wrote. I'm so proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! It must feel really great to know that you have that kind of support from family and friends. And you're right: most of us writers hate being the center of attention. In any event, I'm glad it all went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Quanie! It was a lot of fun. I might even do it again sometime!

      Delete