Friday, September 26, 2014

The Best Book I Read in September is...

It's that time of month again! Time to participate in The Cephalopod Coffeehouse! I finally get to choose the best book I read this month as part of a blog hop!

 

I don't read mysteries. I don't like whodunnits (not since reading Agatha Christie as a kid). Admittedly, and unfortunately, traditional mysteries usually bore me. 😴 I can't stand trying to matriculate and figure out why this happened or who did what. The only mysteries I typically read are true crime mysteries--you know, the sort that actually happened in Illinois or Florida or Washington state.

I'm not a huge reader of The New York Times best sellers either. No particular reason, really. I just don't usually grab them from the bookstore shelf or order them on my kindle. I don't feel the need to read something just because everyone else says its good.

Nevertheless, this book intrigued me. And maybe it was because other friends had and were reading it. But I finally broke down and read Gone Girl.

And it's the best book I read this month. I simply could not put it down. Yes, it's a mystery--but not a traditional one. Amy Dunne's journal entries recall romantic days with Nick, her husband. They wooed, they married, they fell apart--and it's all right there in the pages of her diary. Even to the point where she alludes to being afraid of him...because he just might kill her.

This is an absolute page-turner. I could not wait to find out what happened, and no matter how hard I speculated, all of my guesses were wrong.

The characters are unlikable to be sure, but there is something compelling about the plot. Flynn is a master of compounding complication upon complication without annoying or frustrating readers.

Although slightly irritating (and a bit unbelievable), the unexpected ending was satisfying. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, as it comes out in the theaters next week!




1.The Armchair Squid2.mainewords
3.Berriesandmore4.Linda Kay
5.Cherdo on the Flipside6.V'sReads
7.Aristotle's Mistake8.Life Before the Hereafter
9.Subliminal Coffee.10.My Creatively Random Life
11.WOMEN: WE SHALL OVERCOME12.Stephanie Faris
13.About Myself By Myself14.StrangePegs -- The Marvelous Land of Oz
15.MOCK!16.StrangePegs -- Many Waters
17.StrangePegs -- A Flock of Ill Omens18.Words Incorporated
19.Hub City 
1.The Armchair Squid2.mainewords
3.Berriesandmore4.Linda Kay
5.Cherdo on the Flipside6.V'sReads
7.Aristotle's Mistake8.Life Before the Hereafter
9.Subliminal Coffee.10.My Creatively Random Life
11.WOMEN: WE SHALL OVERCOME12.Stephanie Faris
13.About Myself By Myself14.StrangePegs -- The Marvelous Land of Oz
15.MOCK!16.StrangePegs -- Many Waters
17.StrangePegs -- A Flock of Ill Omens18.Words Incorporated
19.Hub City 
1.The Armchair Squid2.mainewords
3.Berriesandmore4.Linda Kay
5.Cherdo on the Flipside6.V'sReads
7.Aristotle's Mistake8.Life Before the Hereafter
9.Subliminal Coffee.10.My Creatively Random Life
11.WOMEN: WE SHALL OVERCOME12.Stephanie Faris
13.About Myself By Myself14.StrangePegs -- The Marvelous Land of Oz
15.MOCK!16.StrangePegs -- Many Waters
17.StrangePegs -- A Flock of Ill Omens18.Words Incorporated
19.Hub City 

12 comments:

  1. The story's definitely intriguing as are the trailers for the film. My wife looked up the big twist and shared it with me - pretty wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it wasn't at all what I thought it would be...

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to know the book's good. As for the movie, I can't help wondering if the trailer's a lot better than the actual film.

      Delete
  2. I have heard others liking this book. I might have to see if our local library is carrying it yet. Sounds intriguing. I'm with you, I usually don't like mysteries either because I'm always trying to figure out who did it or resisting turning to the last few pages to see how it ends.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a weird one. Even so, it is compelling.

      Delete
  3. LOVED that book...but yeah, the ending kinda sucked. I heard they changed the ending dramatically for the movie...with Ben Affleck starring, I have a feeling they end up making him look like a good guy. I will say it was the best first half of a book I've read in a long, long time...but the last half just started going downhill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I think that's right, actually. I burned through the first half, and then I slowed a little. I almost felt it would be better to not reveal what was really happening until closer to the end. I cannot wait to see the movie! I'm planning on going this weekend!

      Delete
  4. I have that in my wish list and my netflix future queue.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to know what you think, Janie.

      Delete
  5. Like many others, I LOVED the first half of the book but when I got to the second half I was like what in tarnation??? And the ending left me feeling cold. But I do plan to see the movie. Love Ben Affleck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the 2nd half as well, and while the ending isn't satisfying, I think it is the right ending. The more I thought about it, the better it seemed to fit with both the main characters .. although it does leave you feeling a little kicked it the stomach.

    Flynn was on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and she was *hilarious.* You should see if you can find it in their archives, it was earlier this year I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to check out her interview! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete