Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for Admired Authors


The Moors
Oh, there are so many! But since I’m limited to word count here, I’m going to keep it to a past and a present pick.

To those who know me, my pick of the past will come of no surprise: Emily Bronte. Wuthering Heights is my favorite novel of all time, and Heathcliff is undoubtedly my favorite villain—I mean…hero. Emily Bronte wrote with bold passion—unashamed and advanced for her time. Her descriptions of thwarted love and longing, and the lugubrious setting of the Yorkshire moors still give me shivers. Gothic romances are right up my alley anyway.  I still get all tingly with the image of Catherine Earnshaw standing in the midst of a storm on the moors calling out “Heathcliff!” I am a sucker for tortured love affairs.

My admired author of the present is Nicole Baart. Her writing, although much less torrid and tempestuous than Bronte’s, is no less bold, and I love the serious and literary tone of her writing. She is a brave Christian author who ventures into subject matter that has previously been considered taboo in Christian fiction. Love her. Check out her novel Sleeping in Eden. It’s a mystery and a love story with all-around intelligent story-telling. It also has a fabulous cover! I am a sucker for great book cover art.
Hopefully another letter of the alphabet will allow me to brag on another author or book for whom I have admiration!


--"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body." Ecclesiastes 12:12-13

4 comments:

  1. Oooooo ... makes me want to read "Wuthering Heights." Again. :) And I agree - book covers are VERY important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It''s years since I read the classics - at school when I really didn't appreciate them. Have just reread (or rather listened to an audio book in the gym) Pride and Prejudice and enjoyed it so much more second time round!
    Suzanne @Suzannes Tribe
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm going to read Wuthering Heights again this summer. Suzanne, I love Pride and Prejudice. It is my favorite Jane Austen novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from AtoZ :) Hadn't heard of Nicole Baart - look forward to checking her out :)
    Thanks www.annmariemiles.com

    ReplyDelete