Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S is for Storytelling


I really don’t like poetry. I know that statement will seem blasphemous to my literary friends, but when I read poetry, I often feel the words on the page are too contrived or forced. But I suspect my real reason for not liking poetry is that there’s no story.  (Before the protests begin, I do realize that this doesn’t pertain to the narrative or epic poem).
Good stories that are original, complex, and riveting comprise my reading of choice. Of course the material should be well-written, employing the standards of writing expected in quality literature, but ultimately I’m looking to that intricate, moderately paced plot line to move and twist and carry me along into a sea of enchantment, intrigue, or suspense.
I appreciate all forms of storytelling and narrative including short stories, novels, memoirs, and plays. Specifically, some of my favorites in each of these categories are listed below:

 Short story: “The Necklace” by Guy de Maupassant; “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?” by Joyce Carol Oates

Novel: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier; Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Memoir: The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls; This Boy’s Life by Tobias Wolff

Play: A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams; Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Sunset

2 comments:

  1. I read The Necklace in junior high and I still think about it sometimes. That's a pretty powerful short story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to college for 2 years in Lyons , France and I remember reading it and being so incredible impacted! It made me make sure what was what in life. I too far prefer story telling to poetry, but to be honest in this A to Z I have come across interesting and diverse poetry ... maybe I am acquiring a little more of a taste for it. Yesterday on FB we were sharing songs that told a whole story , and I realize that even there I need the depth of a story line! #AtoZchallenge ☮Peace ☮ ღ ONE ℒℴνℯ ღ ☼ Light ☼ visiting from
    http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/
    4covert2overt ~ A Day in the Spotlight

    ReplyDelete