Wednesday, April 16, 2014

N is for Nashville


I have never been to Nashville. “But you’re from Tennessee!” People often say to me. “How can you not have been to Nashville?” Nashville is really nowhere near the Tri-Cities area where I grew up (The Tri-Cities is located in the Northeastern corner of the state, Nashville is located north central). Oh, once when I was very young (around three years old), I went with my family, but I remember next to nothing, so it doesn’t count.

My husband and I are planning a trip there this summer, and I’m really excited to see the land of country music (as I’m a huge country music fan). I’m also a big fan of the show Nashville, which I know is a glorified soap opera, but the characters are colorful, flawed, and tortured in their quest for fame, and the plotlines are intriguing and fast-paced.
 
Dream

My novel (Song from the Ashes) is not set in Nashville per se, but Ella Casey (one of the main characters) returns from Nashville after ten years of pursuing her dream to make it as a country music singer. In her eyes, Nashville is the Mecca for all aspiring artists in this genre—to find themselves on the stage of the Grand Old Opry is the pinnacle of success. But Nashville also symbolizes her downfall, as it is the town where she loses her heart (and her money) to a shady (and married) music producer. Although she struggles with the desire to return to Nashville throughout the book, the reader never actually “sees” the Nashville landscape.
 
Nashville Views

I’m looking forward to seeing and hearing Nashville this summer, and perhaps the next novel will afford a more detailed glimpse into this historically-rich and colorful setting.  

2 comments:

  1. I've lived here all my life and don't see a big reason to visit... Nashville does glorify that bridge and places like Tootsie's and the Bluebird Cafe (which looks NOTHING like that inside!). Most Nashvillians spend little time downtown unless we're going to one of the areas on the outskirts of it, like the Midtown area or the Gulch. I live about 5 minutes from where the Opry is most of the time (it moves to the Ryman at Christmas so they can use the building for Christmas shows).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, we feel the same about D.C. We never go down there unless someone comes to visit. I have to say, though, I think it's impressive you live 5 minutes from the Opry (smiles!)

    ReplyDelete