Saturday, April 26, 2014

W is for Weird


weird
1. involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny: a weird sound; weird lights.
2. fantastic; bizarre: a weird getup.
3. Archaic. concerned with or controlling fate or destiny.
--dictionary.com
 

I would describe myself as a little weird, as I’ve always marched to the beat of my own drummer. My mother might affectionately call me “creative”—but she has also been known to call me a “weirdo” from time to time, especially in my fondness for all things scary or spooky.
 Old Doll

When I was a kid (between the ages of 8-12), I used to set up “haunted houses” in our basement. I don’t know where this predilection came from, or why I got such a kick out of it, but I went all out with these basement boo-fests. I created an entrance through the stairway, where visitors had to ride down the steps on an inflatable raft. (Obviously this was before we became such a litigious society). I used a sound effect album which played throughout “the ride” complete with ghost moans, creature groans, bat squeals, and cat squalls. Suitcases became gravestones, behind which I rigged sheets attached to fishing line that could be strategically pulled so that a ghost-like presence rose from behind them. Spongy packing material was filled with water and covered over with rubber spiders and snakes so that when the unsuspecting person stepped onto the “swamp”, water oozed into their shoes (my mother wasn’t too happy with that surprise).

The weirder part of all of this is that I didn’t necessarily conduct these explorations at Halloween—more likely they were summer projects—and all of my friends and family were subjected to the outcome.

I know we’re all a little bizarre in some way or another. Although I no longer create spooky rooms in my house (I’m sure you will be relieved to know) and I have conformed to life in many ways, I like to think a little weirdness still remains in my day to day life.
 
"...but my dove, my perfect one, is unique, the only daughter of her mother, the favorite of the one who bore her. --Song of Songs 6:9

8 comments:

  1. I told one of my teachers at a dinner once that I keep exotic pets (snakes and lizards and tarantulas to be specific) and after a pause he exclaimed, "You are weird!" Greatest compliment I've ever received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love it! And I thought the ferret I owned once was exotic!

      Delete
  2. That's so cool! I'ma little disappointed you don't do this still ;-) New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, if I had the space, I'd still put them together. I'm not sure my husband would understand, though. Thanks for stopping by! I'll be visiting you later today. I've really enjoyed this challenge, too!

      Delete
  3. I often tell my kids that being a "bit weird" is much more interesting! :) Did you ever use peeled grapes for eyeballs? That was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L--oh, you know it! And ketchup for blood, of course! :)

      Delete
  4. I think weird means unique. Normal is overrated! I love haunted houses, so I think you would have been the perfect friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I have no doubt we would have been great friends. I got your book! I just started reading it, and I was hooked from the very first line.

      Delete