Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Narrow Escape and Blog Stop #3

Just last week, I, my husband, and two friends of ours were toodling around Sonoma County, enjoying wine tastings, beautiful scenery, and fantastic, temperate weather.





We planned our stay right at the end of my summer vacation, so our flight left San Francisco Saturday afternoon. On the way to the airport, one of our friends made a joke about the contingency plan for earthquakes written in the hotel room's notebook.

"It says to get under a table and hold onto the legs," he laughed. "So, I guess I'll be under the table madly flipping through pages trying to figure out what to do during an earthquake."

We all laughed.

This spawned a conversation about the last earthquake in San Francisco when my husband still lived in the Bay area, the damage done, etc. In those moments, the thought actually crossed my mind:  wouldn't that be something if one were to happen while we're talking about it?

But our flight left that afternoon safely and without incident and we arrived home late that night.

Sunday morning the Napa earthquake hit. I couldn't believe it. It was surreal. I was thankful that we had escaped right before it hit. I was even more thankful that no one in the area died in the 6.1 quake.

Our friend who had traveled with us commented that "everyone in that area lives so precariously--never knowing when an earthquake might befall them." My husband, however, assured him that no one in San Francisco or the surrounding areas walked around fearing the next earthquake. They live their lives. And if one hits, they have preparedness plans in place.

It made me think about the fact that we all live somewhat "precariously." Earthquakes aren't the only disasters that befall areas, and we can't spend our days wondering what horrible things could happen and when. For those of us who trust in God, we turn to him, pray for safety, and leave it in his hands. All of us can take all kinds of safety measures (and should at times), but we can't see the future, and we can't really live out our lives if we're constantly fearing what terrible thing might happen next.

You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
Isaiah 26:3 NIV

Song from the Ashes book tour stop number 3 is today at Georgina Troy's blog! You can read the interview HERE.

9 comments:

  1. My daughter, The Hurricane, was in Oakland or San Francisco Saturday night. She said the earthquake woke them up but it was no big deal and they went back to sleep. The first time she experienced an earthquake she said she found it rather offputting. Now she is as blase about a quake as I am about a tornado, because I grew up in Kansas. When I lived in Illinois we had an earthquake. It's always something, no matter where one goes.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I lived in London, people were not concerned about IRA attacks. I think you just learn to live with certain things. Now tornadoes...that's something else all together! :)

      Delete
    2. I've seen plenty of tornadoes and I'm still here. Sure, a tornado might kill you, but it's probably more likely that you'll die driving down the road. By "you," I don't mean you. I mean "one."

      Delete
  2. Wow, you did narrowly escape! I hear lots of wineries have lots of damage, etc., but glad of no fatalities too! You are so right, we don't live in constant fear of earthquakes, we just have our emergency supplies we need and trust in God. Now for some odd reason, it would terrify me to live where tornados are.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrified of tornadoes. I saw one once off in the distance, and it sent me into full-fledged panic!

      Delete
  3. I don't think we could survive if we lived in constant fear of things like that. It is too exhausting. I experienced this during Lilly's life, since while still in the womb we kept hearing she would not live. She lived 17 months and I don't think that ever more than a few days past without me worrying that that day might be her last. It was rough - our bodies can take only so much living on adrenaline. But I don't regret a day with her of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you don't--and your faith during that time continues to be SUCH an inspiration to me, Lisa!

      Delete
  4. Glad you got out in time! Yeah, we worry about tornadoes here, but earthquakes hit much more unexpectedly. They say the fault that goes through Tennessee has the potential to be extremely deadly--it just seems like California is hit with earthquakes much more often for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the "opportunity" to experience an earthquake here in Virginia about three or four years ago. It wasn't anything like the one in Cali, but it was very frightening! Honestly, though, I'm much more scared of tornadoes!

      Delete