Friday, August 8, 2014

Haints, Bogles, and Boogers


My current work in progress is slated to be a little on the scary side. It’s a contemporary Gothic novel set in Virginia wine country. The story is narrated by Chassie, a woman who lived much of her young life in a cult, and now, newly married to vineyard owner, Nicholas Dunraven, she is experiencing all sorts of strange people and phenomena at the Dunraven Estates.  Terrifying events unfold both inside and outside the house as Chassie discovers her husband’s past with a wife who was involved with witchcraft and strange occult groups, and who mysteriously disappeared four years earlier.

When I was a little girl, I remember my grandmother telling me, “Never play with a Ouija board or mess around with séances or anything like that. You never know what kind of demonic entities you might invite in—even if you’re playing around"). My faith in Jesus was always important to me, so I heeded her warning and never messed with that stuff. Having said that, I’ve experienced a couple of paranormal events in my life (once in an old house in southern Virginia where I was visiting people for Thanksgiving and once in the underground catacombs in Edinburgh, Scotland). Both were sufficiently scary, but I’ve never (thank the Lord) experienced an all-out home invasion like the people I see on several television series, such as A Haunting, My Haunted House, My Ghost Story, etc.
 

Some of these people’s lives have been completely turned upside down and/or ruined by these “hauntings.” When interviewed, the victims tell of objects moving by themselves, black masses shooting across their living rooms, scratches received during the night, and even people in the house being possessed by the entities. Some of these accounts end with folks calling in paranormal investigators and/or Catholic priests resulting in house “cleansings”, exorcisms, or abandonment of their home (sometimes resulting in the loss of a lot of money).


 

In watching and reading these accounts, however, I notice there are always similar modes of attack. For instance, victims often receive scratches for which they can’t account, doors open and shut by themselves, and sometimes there is a putrid smell in the house.
Various networks such as Lifetime, Bio, and Destination America run such shows, and viewers seem to gravitate toward them, leading me to believe that there may be more people experiencing paranormal phenomena these days, or that folks are just searching for what happens to the spirit after life. I suppose this is also why paranormal literature is flying off the shelves, including true accounts of house hauntings and possessions.

I know these horrifying events happen to people, so my question is—have you ever experienced or known anyone who’s had a paranormal experience?



"Therefore rejoice, you heavens and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has gone down to you! He is filled with fury, because he knows that his time is short." (NIV- Revelation 12:12)



10 comments:

  1. Your next writing project does seem a bit scary indeed! I'm not sure about hauntings, what to make of them, but I have to tell you, the house that I lived in back in Pennsylvania when I was growing up, there was something a bit "odd" about it. My mom tells of an account when my brother was sleeping in the crib, he was crying so she went to see what was up and as she opened the door to the room, she saw a presence picking him up that left when she came in. My brother refused to sleep in the room alone after that so my mom moved into the room (my dad died when I was real young). I do remember waking up at night several times with feeling someone touching my shoulder and no one being there, then the other shoulder being touched, and one day did see an image going out the window of my 2nd story bedroom. We moved when I was seven and I don't think we talked much about it over the years, but those memories as young as I was still stay with me vividly.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, your account of those events gave me chills! How very, very scary! I remember my stepmother telling me years ago when I was a little girl that if anyone (or anything) ever tried to interact with me in an evil way, that I should rebuke them in the name of Jesus. I've clung to that over the years, and I've heard tell of people who have staved off terribly happenings by calling upon the Lord's name in that moment.

      Delete
  2. My husband had a ghost in the old house he lived in during college. I've never experienced one, but I've always been fascinated. I was hooked on the show Ghost Hunters back when it was interesting. That was a couple of years ago, though. The show has gotten very male and testosterony in recent years. Yawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I used to be really into Ghost Hunters, but now I really prefer to watch the narratives like A Haunting, etc. Wow! Interesting that your husband experienced a haunting in a place he inhabited. I'd love to hear the circumstances!

      Delete
  3. I remember that strange experience we had in Edinburgh! Tabby loves when I tell her that story. I know God tells us not to mess with that stuff for a reason! "Dunraven." Didn't you have a character with that name in a novel you wrote a long time ago? When I was reading "Song from the Ashes" yesterday I read about Dunraven Castle in Wales and thought "Oh! That's where that name came from!" It really is a great name, especially for any time of creepy book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Well, yes. That's a name from a novel I wrote in my twenties. I thought it was high time I use it in a novel from this era...Yes, and you were the one that experienced with me that creepy sighting in Edinburgh. We're bonded forever by that narrow brush with the supernatural...

      Delete
  4. I find these things fascinating. I have experienced something I can't explain, that I consider paranormal. It was like somebody who passed was trying to help another person they cared about in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I really do think a lot of people are fascinated by them, as the amount of television shows on the paranormal are unbelievable! And yes, I really think you know it when it happens to you...

      Delete
  5. Experiencing paranormal events seems to run in my family, so we've had our share of rebuking in the name of Jesus. It's a comfort to know God is there for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's interesting, Erin. I'd love to hear a tale or two sometime at one our meetings...when I've heard stories of others rebuking evil spirits in the name of Jesus, it always gives me cold chills. It attests to the fact that there is power in the Name.

      Delete