Wednesday, August 13, 2014

First Review!

The first review of Song from the Ashes came up this morning on Amazon, and it was a 5 star review!

Song from the Ashes

There's also a 4/5 star review at Barnes and Noble, so I'm excited about both of these!

I really appreciate those who take the time to review the book after reading it, as I know I sometimes agonize over writing reviews when I finish a book. If I loved the book, I want my words to properly convey how good I thought it was, but if the book was just okay (I won't write a review on a book I didn't like), I want to be honest, but I don't want to hurt an author's feelings (since I know what that feels like). But at the end of the day, I know I really want HONEST reviews. Otherwise--what's the point, really? Anyone can say a book is good.

For me, I think I'm a little more hardened to reviews or bad critiques, rejections, etc. due to 5 years in George Mason's MFA in Creative Writing program. Every course in the program involved having our writing workshopped (or workshopping others), and from that experience I've grown a thicker skin.

Even so, it's great to get a review that validates your work.

 “Give glory to God by telling the truth,” they said. --John 9:24


8 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I'm careful about reviews, too. If I have constructive criticism, I'll put it in the review on my blog, but leave it out when I post the review on Amazon.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the great reviews! I try to be really honest about reviews when I write them except I have been known when someone who writes a book who really has no talent to write it and might be a friend in blogging and I review their book,I might give it a higher rate on my blog than I should. Make sense? Otherwise, I do try to express my honest thoughts about the book. I did review a book for BookSneeze which is now something else and I honestly didn't like the book, I did write my opinion about it. I also try not to read anyone else's review until I'm done with mine so I'm not influenced.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I don't make it through a book if its bad. If the first two chapters don't grab me, I don't normally continue on. Having said that, I have trudged through a few books that were promising but never lived up to expectations. That's a good way to handle reviews--not reading anyone else's until you've made up your own mind.

      Delete
  3. I know how exciting that is when you get the first one. Congratulations again. I do agree with you about honest reviews. It's another way for authors to better their writing if they understand what the average reader thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Erin--you're right. Everyone needs constructive criticism to better their writing.

      Delete
  4. YAY. Congratulations! I've been trying not to obsess over my reviews, but it's difficult to resist a peek every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on two excellent reviews!

    ReplyDelete