Monday, April 20, 2015

A to Z Blog Challenge: Q is for Quinoa


In the trendy superfood category, quinoa is all-the-go these days.
The first time I ever cooked quinoa, I actually thought something was wrong with it. It looked kind of like there were little worms mixed in amongst the grains. I quickly looked up a picture of cooked quinoa online and was greatly relieved that, in fact, the grain does take on a worm-like appearance when cooked.
If you haven’t tried quinoa, I recommend trying it with liberal seasoning and combined with other vegetables (for instance onion and green or red pepper). It makes a lovely side dish for most meats, poultry, or fish and comes in three colors--red, black, and white. The best part about quinoa is the health benefit. It’s high in fiber and minerals and offers metabolic support.  It's also gluten-free for those trying to avoid wheat.
I'm just holding my breath that next month the researchers don't come out and say that quinoa causes some horrible disease.

Have you tried quinoa, and if so, how do you like to eat it?

4 comments:

  1. I've actually got quinoa on the menu for tonight - quinoa meatless meatballs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a recipe this morning on someone's blog with quinoa as a breakfast type of item :) I tried quinoa once; I did like it :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried it before, but it was a box mix and didn't have a great flavor. I'm vegan and like cooking whole grains, so I'll have to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it best when someone else cooks it! But I did just buy some yesterday, so I hope to prepare some for myself.

    ReplyDelete