Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A-Z Blog Challenge: Y is for Yelp!



A year or so ago, my husband and I joined some friends at a very expensive and ritzy restaurant in the city of Fairfax. My husband and I haunt the same restaurants and eateries in our community, and we rarely frequent fine dining establishments, but this was a special occasion, and we went in knowing we'd probably drop some cash at this place.

Table Setting


We'd made reservations a week or two in advance, but when we got there, the host was rude and appeared bothered by our presence. Nevertheless, dinner was delicous and our waiter was attentive and very polite. Plates of appetizers, expensive entrees, drinks, and dessert crossed our table, and the bill for the four of us came to around $250! 

Our entire dinner probably took around one hour and twenty minutes from appetizer to dessert, so imagine our surprise and dismay when the manager came over and bluntly told us that she needed our table for "other guests." I was horrified, my husband was furious, and our friends seemed embarrassed they'd brought us there.

The more I thought about it, the more incensed I became. We'd just paid for a very expensive dinner for which we'd procured advance reservations, and it wasn't as though we'd overstayed! I couldn't believe the nerve of that woman!

I'm not one of those people who sends food back to the kitchen or complains about table locations or slow service, but I was mad! As soon as I got home, I signed onto Yelp! and excoriated the restaurant for its rude staff in my scathing online review. That is the first and last time I've ever written a nasty review, but I found the experience rather gratifying. It gave me an outlet to vent my anger, and allowed a fair amount of other people to hear about my experience with that restaurant.

Red Lady


Have you ever written a review for a merchant on Yelp!

13 comments:

  1. I have written one review on Yelp and two on Trip Advisor. One of my Trip Advisor reviews has been viewed a few hundred times. I write a lot of reviews on Amazon. It's a darn shame they treated you so badly.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know...I actually think I did write one on Trip Advisor too. A good one though. I forgot about that...

      Delete
  2. I never knew about Yelp! I think it would take something like this for me to get on there and write a bad review. Or an awesome experience to write a good one. I've never felt the need to write a review for a restaurant, etc. before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either. I think it was just this particular experience that put my panties in a bunch. I felt better after I did it. :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry it was such a downer in the end. Long ago, my wife and I once went to a French restaurant on the Upper East Side of Manhattan that was way out of our price range but my goodness it was good. We savored every course. On the way out, the maitre d' congratulated us on eating well. I hope your next experience is closer to that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some that were good experiences. We don't do it very often, but they're not all snooty like that.

      Delete
  4. I write lots of reviews on Amazon but no, I've never written any reviews on Yelp. Bravo to you! I'm glad you did it! That place sounds awful. That was a costly dinner and then to chase you away from the table was very rude.

    My husband and I went to a nice and very expensive place once for our anniversary. The dinner and service were lovely, but we got food poisoning afterwards.

    Sunni

    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh I would have done the same thing with writing a review. I haven't written on Yelp (maybe one now that I think about it) but a lot on google; I write both good and bad ones. One time we went to a restaurant here and when we walked in the hostess seemed like your host here, a bit put off with us. The restaurant looked busy so I asked how long the wait. She said "do you have a reservation?" I said "no". She said "well its really needed on the weekends here." Now how would I know that just moving to the city and there was nothing on their website or in a coupon we had gotten in the mail about their place that reservations were encouraged. She said she could put us on the list for later after the reservation time. I explained we were new to the city and didn't know about this with their restaurant, but said not to put us on the list. We left and found another delightful restaurant a block away. When we got home I ripped that restaurant on Google for her rude behavior. And the restaurant is in the middle of the downtown area where lots of tourists come through.

    I bet you won't be going back to that restaurant again!

    Gosh, I keep forgetting how close you are to my sister (Annandale). If we ever get there to visit (that would require me getting on a plane, LOL, and I don't get on planes :) we would have to get together :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Annandale is where my husband works! If you ever decide to DRIVE cross-country for a visit--let me know! I don't like to fly either...

      Delete
  6. For sure, I'd do that. That's crazy! This is why I don't eat at expensive restaurants. They act like you're privileged to be spending three days' pay on dinner. What you described happened to two writer friends of mine. They met at the Pancake Pantry in Nashville for breakfast and were lingering after their meal, discussing Romance Writers of America business (they were board members of the local chapter). Someone came over and told them that now that their meal was over, they needed to leave because customers were waiting. Customers were waiting, so I can see the point in their case, but I think that's part of running a business. There will be people who eat quickly and run and those who stay long. My husband's a smoker, so the second the last morsel passes his lips, he's ready for the check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can see that, Stephanie. Yes, it's terrible to feel like you're being told to just pay your check and leave (of course, they waited until AFTER we'd paid the check).

      Delete
  7. I've written one Yelp restaurant review. I prefer the ones that I write on my blog for Chinese restaurants :)

    Congratulations on completing the #AtoZChallenge!

    --Mee (The Chinese Quest)

    ReplyDelete