Monday, April 13, 2015

A to Z Challenge: K is for Kale

 
Is it good for you or bad for you?
Organic Cabbage Plant
 
Kale is one of those super-foods, right? Eat tons of it, the experts tell us.  

A few years ago, my husband and I bought a juicer, and despite the ridiculous amount of money and time involved, we jumped on the juicing bandwagon. About once a week we juiced kale, beets, carrots, apples, cucumbers, berries, spinach and the final product resembled a water glass used for rinsing dirty paint brushes. Sometimes it tasted pretty good; sometimes it tasted more like kale than anything else, but at least we felt we were doing something good for our bodies.

 :: Kale

But now it comes out that kale has a “dark” side. Apparently, according to some medical research reported by Oregon State University, kale can cause hypothyroidism in women over 40. It has something to do with something called goitrin and its interference with how the thyroid operates (you can tell how medically eloquent I am). Now, I would imagine large amounts of the leaf would have to be eaten in order to induce this, but still…it made me sigh with resignation.  It just seems like we find out something is good for us, we're told we should eat tons of it (soy, for example), only to find that it causes this health or hormone disorder or another (elevated estrogen levels, etc.).

In my mind, it’s like this: food for the stomach, the stomach for food. Something’s going to get you one way or the other, so we might as well enjoy what we eat.

What foods have you been disappointed to learn were bad for you?

6 comments:

  1. Just about everything seems to be bad for you according to one study or another and then the next one says its a super food. I believe a balanced diet is the key and not to deprive yourself of what you crave in moderation.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I like what the Bible says, all things in moderation. Its funny because sometimes coffee is good for you, sometimes its not good for you, same thing for wine, chocolate etc. My son was into juicing for a bit. Some of his concoctions were good but lots of work to get just a little bit of juice :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I read something about spinach a while back (but I can't remember). It all boils down to moderation. Too much of anything might be bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juicing is the only way I can take kale, no matter how many other ways I've tried it, but I have to say it's definitely not a favorite. I wish unlimited chocolate was healthy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe they wouldn't be so bad for us if we didn't eat so much of them. Wonder if the experts have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! I really like kale! Funny that I've never heard my Weight Watcher leader mention anything about it potentially being bad. I think you're right that you'd have to eat bales & bales for it to affect you badly.
    Stopping in from A-Z - hi!!
    Lisa
    Tales from the Love Shaque
    ...Slow & Steady

    ReplyDelete