Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A to Z Challenge: G is for...oh, it's too easy...Greyhounds!

 
 
This letter was almost too easy. I only had to think about 2.2 seconds to come up with the topic.
 
Everyone knows I'm a dog fanatic, and for the last two years, I've become a sighthound--specifically a greyhound--freak. So I'm sorry, but you will have to suffer through more pictures of my furbabies in this post.
 
 
 
Some general information about greyhounds first of all. They are sighthounds. Whereas most dogs operate first on scent and hunt thereby, sighthounds visually spot their prey and their speed does the rest. Incidentally, the greyhound is the second fastest land animal. They can hit 45 miles per hour in three strides, which is why they can never be off-lead in an area without a secure fence. You will not catch them by foot if they take off.
 
Often people assume greyhounds are in need of a lot of exercise and space to run. They're actually okay on leash walks. It is true that they LOVE to run, but they also sleep 18 hours a day. Hence, they are often affectionately nick-named, the 45 mile-per-hour-couch potato.
 
This is Chase.
 
 
 
Chase has lived with us since June of 2012, and I can't imagine life without him. He is highly emotional (he hates it when we leave, and when we come home in the afternoons he throws a party). He loves all forms of touch (behind the ears, on the belly, at the base of the tail), and I swear he understands what I'm telling him (he listens like a champ).
 
His racing name was Starz Megabucks (a mouthful!), but since we don't have kids, I like my animals to have human names, and "Chase" definitely fits him. Chase ran 74 races and won 7 of them, and he regularly placed 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. He retired due to a hind leg injury, but he was basically mandatory retirement age anyway (around 4 and a half).
 
Chase was adopted by another family for about five months after he retired, but he was returned when the owners fell on financial hardship. Sad for them, but a huge blessing for us. He has changed our lives in such wild and wonderful ways. He's our goofy, crazy, gentle, FAST, and playful "son" who loves to eat and squeak toys and sleep like a dead roach.
 
(Yes, he is sleeping here)
 
If you're interested in adopting a greyhound or a sighthound, there are hundreds of adoption agencies around the country.
 
Chase came from Greyt Expectations out of Lusby, Maryland.
 
For greyhounds, Spanish greyhounds (galgos), Borzoi, Italian greyhounds, Salukis, Irish wolfhounds or Afghan hounds, I highly recommend The Sighthound Underground.  

6 comments:

  1. LOL, I kind of knew you might do G with greyhound; it was always easy for me with C/K in the old days :)

    What happens if a greyhound goes deaf? Does that affect how they relate to the world?

    Chase is so cute; wouldn't you love to be able to sleep for 18 hours a day (I would settle for 8 hours :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, that's a good question. I really don't know how deafness affects them, but I do know that on the Facebook page Greytalk, several greyhound owners have posted about their old hounds going blind or deaf. These guys have a life span averaging 14 years (pretty good for a big dog), so deafness is certainly a possibility for them. I think they probably adapt.

      Delete
  2. There's a beautiful greyhound we meet on our favourite dog walk. Our dog is fast, and usually outruns most of the other dogs, but he's got nothing on the greyhound!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annalisa, yes. I used to have a dog I took to dog parks (we don't usually take our greys for fear of some sort of incident), but I remember there was a greyhound that would run at that park, and all of the dogs tried to keep up with him.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading this and learning about greyhounds! I had no idea they could run so fast and the 45 mile-per-hour-couch potato? Hilarious! That picture of Chase it just too cute. Looks like he's smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is adorable! I want to rub that belly! My Beagle lays on his back like that (and smiles, too!) but his ears flop out so we call him BatDog.
    Lisa
    ...Slow & Steady
    Tales from the Love Shaque

    ReplyDelete