Monday, April 6, 2015

A to Z Challenge: E is for Ebooks

When personal computers entered the average consumer's home in the 1980s, I was barely a teenager. Even so, I swore I would never use them. A typewriter worked just fine. Or even good old pen and ink. I filled entire spiral notebooks with the novels I wrote, so who needed a machine for that anyway? Jane Austen didn't need it! Emily Bronte never had one.

Ink Well And Quill Pen


That ideaology worked okay until college when all of my papers had to be typed. Using eraser ribbon and retyping documents over and over again lost it's charm when I could just hit the back space on the computer.

In the late 80s, I doubled down in my commitment to the vinyl album. By the 1990s, a cassette tape was perhaps acceptable, but no CDs for me! That worked until my boom boxes started eating my cassette tapes, and no one could buy a vinyl album anymore. Once I bought my first CD and understood the superiority of the sound and how easy it was to change from song to song, I reconsidered my position.

Tape Cassette 2


So..surprise, surprise! When the ebook emerged on the scene, I assured everyone that I was a physical book tee-totaller. Nope! No electronic books for me! I like the feel of the book in my hand, thank you very much.

Reading...


Then, just last winter, I discovered a Kindle app on my cell phone. Out of sheer necessity (because I needed the book fast), I read the entirety of Howard's End on my iPhone 5. Strangely, I found that I kind of liked it. I could read at night with the lights out and no fear of disturbing my sleeping husband. And it really wasn't difficult like I expected it to be--even on my phone.

This past Christmas when my parents asked what I wanted for Christmas,  I took the plunge and asked for one. Since then, I've scarcely read a book on anything else. As a matter of fact, I find I've read more books than I have in years because they are so accessible and I can read like I used to do as a kid (late into the night).

What do you think about ebooks?

15 comments:

  1. I love not having to use a book light! I also love being able to instantly download books. I use my kindle all the time:) And the price is usually significantly cheaper for ebook than paper backs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true! I love being able to find books for much cheaper on Kindle

      Delete
  2. I love reading, and the very best part of reading an ebook is being able to read in the dark! Some books just don't work as ebooks, and I'll never give up books altogether, but ebooks are a definite yes around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same. I still enjoy holding a book!

      Delete
  3. Since I live out of the country and don't have access to a library I read everything on my Kindle now. And like you, I remember saying I'd never write on a computer. I never did on the big old PCs but when the laptops came out, I was sold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what we ever did without laptops!

      Delete
  4. I was like you, I never thought I would like them. And then......I reviewed a book that only could be in Ebook format, so I borrowed son's tablet to do so.....and then the rest was history. I helped him buy a new computer that he needed, he gave me his tablet and I haven't missed a "real live" book since then. I do like the convenience of an Ebook!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost too easy to buy a book on them!

      Delete
  5. I like e-books but I'm stuck reading them the "old fashioned" way. I print them out (most often) or read them on my (desktop) computer. Since I hate sitting at my computer for a long time to read, I have way more e-books downloaded than I will ever read. :( I would love to take the plunge and buy a device to read them on, but my husband won't allow those "unnecessary, expensive devices" in the house. In the meantime, I do LOVE my paper books. But ... it IS frustrating when I can only find something available in electronic form. And ... we have 14 bookcases PLUS a room that has built-ins on 2 walls and they are all overflowing. This paper book buying and hording pace can't continue obviously. So hopefully we will actually catch up to this time and get a reader at some point. (Though I hope to upgrade my old flip cell phone first LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, once you upgrade the flip, you can download a kindle app! Reading on an iphone isn't ideal, but it's not too bad either!

      Delete
  6. I was one of those people who swore that I would never read on an ebook but as soon as I got one, I never looked back. They're so convenient! No more going to the library or the book store. I think for people who read a lot, it probably causes them to spend more money because all the books are just a click away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! That's me, Quanie. $2.99 adds up quick once you've bought 20 books!

      Delete
  7. Kicking and screaming you came into the current century, lol. I was never really much of a reader, and nw with both my Kindle and my ipad I find, I actually like reading. Surprised you were able to put off typing papers until college, my DD had to type things in early middle school,

    Sandy at Bridge and Beyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember having to type anything in high school (I graduated in 1990), but I did take a typing class my senior year...on an electric typewriter--ha!

      Delete
  8. I love my E-reader and use it almost exclusively. I love it for travel as I can carry several books and it only weighs a few ounces. Plus i don't have to hold the pages open which is a blessing when you are cramped in a small coach class seat or subway car. I still read the occasional print book but I am definitely a Ereader convert.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete