Thursday, April 16, 2015

A to Z Challenge: N is for Nests



Whether they belong to birds, squirrels, or bees, I am awed by nests and all types of creatures' instinctive ability and desire to build these elaborate, intricate, and sturdy structures.


Egg In A Nest

During one especially cold and windy winter a few years ago, I thought our back yard squirrels were goners. The snow was too deep, the temperatures too low, the winds too high. Nevertheless, a few days after the storm abated, our furry friends scaled down the tree to retrieve apples and bread crumbs we'd thrown out for them. We decided their nest must have been very efficient and well-insulated, indeed.

Hidy Ho, Neighbor! 2

I'm terrified of bees, but I'm fascinated by the complicated nature of their hives--the honey-comb architecture and functionality of the structures is inspiring and worthy of admiration.

Bees


It amazes me that wildlife needs no instruction in how to build these things. The behaviors are God-given and hard-wired into their natures.

If someone asked me to build a house I'd be in BIG trouble.


Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. -- Luke 12:6

5 comments:

  1. Visiting you during the #Challenge. Delighted to find a fellow writer even though the name of your blog didn't tip your hand. I am your North Carolina neighbor who writes and gardens among other things. Your blog is well presented, easy to read, uncluttered. I appreciate that a lot! Come and visit me if you have a minute. I'll be watching for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think about the Squirrels but they must do a great job at hunkering down during the winter.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bees are pretty scary but their complex behaviors are certainly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost did nests for N :) I agree, glad I don't have to build a house; mine would be the kind that was built on sand and not rock :)

    It is fascinating how birds and other creatures collect this and that and make a sturdy home to raise their young ones :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watch birds build nests sometimes - the way they choose which twigs to take and which to ignore is fascinating. And I agree, I'd build a terrible house!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete