Thursday, April 2, 2015

A-Z Challenge: B is for Bad Wine

It's Day 2 of the A-to-Z Blog Challenge! I didn't go with a theme this year, so my topics will be all over the place (I apologize in advance). I do the same with my regular Friday posts (Favorite Things Friday). Faith, dogs, wine, and books are usually the topics addressed, so this challenge may fall along similar lines.

 
 
In the past ten years or so, I've become a great lover of wine. My husband is from Northern California and ever since we started visiting Sonoma and Napa Valley vineyards (and joined a few wine clubs), I've learned alot about smelling, swirling, swishing and sorting flavors in the wine-tasting process. I've also learned to know bad wine when I taste it.
 
In days of old, I'd grab a bottle of red from the grocery--any old brand would do.  Now I spend an hour on Friday afternoons at Total Wine pontificating over whether to buy a bottle of old vine zinfandel from Dry Creek Valley on sale for $21.95, or spend a little more and go with the highly rated at 91 points Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. I just really only want to drink the good stuff.
 
Red Wine
 
Last night I realized how far down this rabbit hole I'd gone when, at a waterside cafe in Myrtle Beach, I wrinkled my nose after tasting a happy-hour-priced glass of their house cab. "How is it?" my step-father asked. "It's just okay," I replied, and once we returned home I proceeded to open a bottle of wine-club quality zinfandel, sighing with relief that the bouquet was deep and rich, "legs" streamed down the sides of the glass, the hue reflected ruby red tones, and flavors of blackberry, fennel, and pepper streamed across my palate.
 
 
So I admit it. I've become a wine snob.
 
If you're a wine drinker, what kinds of wine do you like to drink? I'm always up for suggestions!

7 comments:

  1. You had me at Total Wine! I LOVE that store. But I must confess: I only drink the sweet stuff (like pink mascato) so I don't have any "good" suggestions for you. I lived in Northern California for 8 years and never went wine tasting. I'm kicking myself now. And we are going to Myrtle Beach this summer. I've never been so I'm looking forward to it. And nothing wrong with being a wine snob. Get that printed on a tee shirt:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quanie--really? You lived in No Cal with no tastings??? We have some good sweet wines from Virginia.

      Delete
  2. I'm really into this red blend called Apothic. I think wine snobs are not fans of blends, is that right? For Valentine's Day, I got a great wine bottle holder shaped like a German shepherd on its back, so I now have to have a bottle at the ready at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really into this red blend called Apothic. I think wine snobs are not fans of blends, is that right? For Valentine's Day, I got a great wine bottle holder shaped like a German shepherd on its back, so I now have to have a bottle at the ready at all times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, not at all! I LOVE blends! I've had Apothic--I also like The Criminal--excellent blend.

      Delete
  4. I will drink wine when it tastes good to me, but I'd really rather have something with rum or whiskey if I'm going to drink.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B ~ One of Tremp's Troops with the
    A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I drink the "cheap" stuff unless I'm out and about :) I'm even embarrassed to say what it is. We have checked out some Arizona wineries and enjoyed the taste of them and gotten a few bottles of wine. It is such a treat to actually at times have a glass of wine that tastes really good :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete