Saturday, April 11, 2015

A to Z Challenge: J is for Junk



 



Recently I’ve been thinking that we have a lot of this around our house.

Old Things
Ever since my husband and I started talking about moving, I’ve been looking around and noticing how much junk we have. Books, clothing, CDs, boxes and boxes of I-don’t-even-know-what in the garage. (What IS in those boxes anyway?) The contents of one our guest rooms alone could probably stock a thrift shop.

 Keep It Clean

In my twenties and thirties I was much more sentimental about my junk. Oh, I can’t get rid of that. Some guy who was a friend of my grandparents handmade that for me. No, no—not that toy horse. That was the one my best friend gave me when we were in elementary school. No you can't throw THAT away. That was a note my friend passed to me during class in high school! Now I just think--let's get rid of it!
Throw Sth Out
All of the books and trinkets are just dust collectors. I’m tempted to call 1 800 Got-JUNK when we move.
Litter Container

Are you sentimental or practical about your junk?

7 comments:

  1. I have a couple of very small things that I will never throw away - one is a porcelain cat/bear (we've never been quite sure) that's only half an inch high! I find it pretty easy to throw away stuff... although books are a completely different matter, I can't give those away!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what we did to finally get rid of all the stuff hubby hadn't cleared out of his parents' home that we were living in before we moved here to Arizona in January. It wasn't 1-800-Junk but another service. They hauled away the equivalent of 4 truck loads; some to the dump; some that they thought was worth something they kept, probably went to the local swap meet and sold stuff when they accummulated a lot to do.

    I'm so not sentimental. I gave away my wedding dress several moves ago; got tired of moving it, LOL :)

    Right now the boxes we have not unpacked are the boxes still of some of hubby's parents' things that he wants or didn't have time to go through them before we moved. I'm hoping some of those boxes won't make the next move we do LOL :)

    Seriously, if you have the time and if your area permits, have a garage sale. Make it simple, just bring things out, even in boxes, if people are interested, they'll go through boxes looking for things. We made a good chunk of money that way :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm realizing I'm just not very good at organizing things. I end up with drawers full of mess. We went through a flood in 2010 and that cleared out a lot of stuff. So this upcoming move shouldn't be too hard...plus we're in a 750 square foot house! The biggest challenge is that we're going to a 2300 square foot house...which means we're going to have to buy furniture and decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Moving from a 750 to a 2300 square foot house is going to feel like acres of difference! We did that when we moved from 800 to 2100 square feet. It made such a difference!

      Delete
  4. I think most people fall into two categories. 1: Those who are sentimental about our junk and 2: those who are in denial.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sentimental but am changing to practical! The sentimental burden has grown too great for me. I am tossing stuff, donating, and giving it away! And ok - I don't think I will ever be able to be completely practical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, we're moving so I'm not as sentimental as I used to be. I've made a vow to not collect so much. It just piles up and then you don't know what's what, so you might as well just throw things away as you get it (or tell people no when they try to give you stuff).

    ReplyDelete