Tuesday, April 5, 2016

D is for Dogs, Drugs, and Debra Winger

I am participating in the A-to-Z Blog Challenge this month. My theme is ... The Music of My Life.


Growing up, there was nothing I loved better than dogs and horses. But as a young child, I had been diagnosed with asthma, and apparently I was allergic to everything. Especially dogs, cats, grass, etc. For years I took a concoction of drugs and shots that helped with the symptoms. I had already had to give up one dog because of the illness, but my mother read that Chihuahuas were supposed to help those with asthma, so we got Little Putt--an uncommonly sweet, brindle female. 

I began riding horses at the age of five. My mom had grown up with horses and had a trunk full of ribbons and trophies from horse shows all over the regions. When some of my friends were learning to play tennis, golf, or soccer, I was learning to ride.

Despite my asthma, my cousin and I practically lived at the barn during the summer. After our riding lessons, we helped groom horses, muck out stalls, and rake the inside of the barn. We loved the smells (yes, even the manure), the sounds (whinnies, whuffles, clip-clops), and the sights (nothing beats seeing a horse moving in perfect formation with its rider), and we formed lasting friendships from our time there.

When school was going on, my mom and I woke early on Saturday mornings and headed out for Rotherwood Stables, stopping at the 7-11 on the way to buy a king-sized Hershey bar and bottled Coke to share. The breakfast of champions. We did this for many years.

In 1980, the movie Urban Cowboy came out. John Travolta and Debra Winger were names on everyone's lips, and line-dancing was booming at the honky tonks. Mom bought the soundtrack and we played the tape in the car over and over again—we wore that thing out! It was a compilation album of songs from Jimmy Buffet, Mickey Gilley, The Eagles, Bonnie Raitt, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, and many others. But my two favorites on the album were Boz Skaggs’s “Love Look What You’ve Done to Me” and Charlie Daniels Band’s “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” (whoo-hoo! Listen to that fiddle playing!) This was when I came to love country music.

I was too young to see the movie then, and to this day, I have never seen it (maybe this will be the year), but every time I hear Boz Skaggs or the Eagles, I think about those sunshine-filled rides to the barn and the smell of sawdust and grain. Ah, how I love the smell of fly spray in the mornings!




13 comments:

  1. Your mom sounded cool; I love your breakfast of champions! I wonder if you were to see the movie, would you be disappointed in it? Would it live up to the songs played?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, because a friend of mine says she is going to loan me the movie this week. I'm looking forward to watching! :)

      Delete
  2. Why would you wait so long. LOL Watch the movie! :)

    Happy April 5th!
    Ninga Minion @YolandaRenee from
    Defending The Pen
    Parallels
    Murderous Imaginings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! See the comment to Betty above...:)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad! Let us know what you think!

      Delete
  3. I was brought up with horses too. We always had ponies as children. I lived on a farm, so there were dogs too. Debra Winger is a great actress. Fortunately, I have no experience of drugs except the medicinal kind! Great post - I loved reading it. Around My Kitchen Table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me too! The only drugs I had to take were asthma pills and shots. No interest in the other kind!

      Delete
  4. I have to tell you, it's a pretty dark movie for what it is. Some dark issues, I think! I watched it on cable TV in junior high. I was one of the Grease generation, so anything John Travolta had my attention, even if it was probably inappropriate for a tween/early teen. I don't remember if it had adult content, just the dark subject matter. And that Debra Winger always made some of the strangest acting choices. She put her own unique twist on everything. I guess that's why she was so respected before she was (supposedly) pushed out for being so difficult to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my favorite Debra Winger movie is Shadowlands. She was so good in that. She played C.S. Lewis's wife, Joy, who died of cancer. It is boohoo-bawl sad, but I think she was at her best. And of course...Terms of Endearment...

      Delete
  5. There really isn't anything better than the sights, sounds and smells of a horse barn. Surprised that you could do it with asthma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love horses here too! My girls took riding lessons for several years. My son, who is quite a bit younger than they are, loves horses, but has asthma and is most definitely allergic to them, poor kid. We aren't involved with horses since moving to Colorado, but if we can work that out someday, we will have to find a way to let him ride without being miserable.

    I do love the Eagles, and "Lyin' Eyes" Is one of their best! "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" is a fantastic song, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your son will go grow out of it, though. I did. Yes! Lyin' Eyes is my favorite Eagles song!

      Delete