Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q is for Questioning Conformity

I am participating in the 2016 A-to-Z Blog Challenge. My theme is the music of my life.




After I left England with a heavy heart and the realization that my Mr. Wonderful was not there, I began to question my goals and dreams. Did I really want to just meet someone in my home state, get a steady job, and settle down with a husband and babies? Or did I want to continue the quest and continue looking for my dream life somewhere else?


For a while I tried the normal thing. I got a job as a technical editor for a government contracting agency and I began taking classes toward a master's degree in creative writing. But I was still restless. In truth, I was afraid of falling into the rut of conformity.


In 1999, I decided to take off again and keep looking for the elusive "Nicholas Dunraven" and a life abroad. This time I went a little further afield...to Australia.






Have you ever been afraid of the rut of conformity?

3 comments:

  1. Australia! What an adventure that was! No, I like ordinary and not change, so rut of conformity is what would have been familiar for me.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from A to Z, Megan. I remember that song from my school days.

    I've always marched to the beat of my own drum, and as I get older, I appreciate that about myself more than I did when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes - I've always liked doing some things differently and going against the norm. I always really admired the way you would work at a job to save up all that money to travel to another continent! I had too many fears to be that adventurous.

    ReplyDelete