Thursday, April 7, 2016

Faith, Friends, and Foreigner

I am participating in the A-to-Z Blog Challenge this month. My theme is ... the music of my life.


Ten was the age of opposites. On one side of the coin, life was good. I met some of my best friends in the fourth grade and we formed a band called The Socks (as part of our gimmick, we rolled up our jeans and wore crazy-colored socks). My fourth grade teacher booked us gigs in the library, the auditorium, and in front of members of the PTA. We were veritable elementary school celebrities! We performed songs from The Go-Gos like "We Got the Beat" and "Vacation" and although I really wanted to be lead singer (I loved singing, and I wasn't bad at it either), I was willing to take backseat to the prettier, more outgoing, Stacee.



But home was empty--no dogs or dads.  My mom was dealing with her divorce, and I was dealing with her emotional freefall. My way of coping was pretending to live in a fantasy world fueled by plotlines from soap operas like All My Children and General Hospital (I watched GH religiously). In many ways it was easier to stay in that world as much as possible. There, I could make my own endings to my own story lines. I often think of this time as my precursor to being a writer.

Then things got really bad, and I learned to pray. On my knees in my bathroom with my hands clasped and eyes closed, I called out to God with desperation. "Something really bad is going to happen. Please help my mother." I had grown up in a family of prayer warriors. My paternal grandparents were sincere lovers of Jesus, and they taught me that He was always there for me no matter what. And at the age of ten, I learned they were right.

God comforted me in this time of desolation. When I felt I couldn't talk to anyone else, I knew I could go to Him and He would listen. This was the beginning of real faith for me.

About a year after the divorce, my mother met a man who literally swept her off her feet. He was from another country and spoke with a thick accent that I found hard to understand. Within six weeks, he would become her third husband and my new step father.

And life was about to change for us in a big way once again...  





8 comments:

  1. How cute with your band :) How sad about things going on with your home life; but glad that you realized the need and the power of prayer and prayed. Looking forward to continuing to read on.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The band was fun. It's funny how you remember things like that. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I loved General Hospital at that age...I was going through a rough time at times, too, and that was my escape. Later it became Days of Our Lives. I spent most of my time reading, though...so I guess sometimes it's good when your childhood isn't as good as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! My great-grandmother used to love Days of Our Lives. We used to have battles over who was going to get to watch their soap. GH was the best, though! Luke and Laura forever!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you had such a rough time then, but I'm glad the power of prayer helped your through it. I've never been very religious. I pray, but I've never known the very powerful power of prayer that lifts people up, comforts them and gets them through a crisis. I've heard people talk about it, but I don't know it personally. You didn't mention how things worked out with step-father number three. I hope it had a happy ending. I loved GH and AMC during that era, but I was a die hard GH fan, especially a Luke and Laura fan. I loved "We've Got The Beat" it brings back some crazy high school memories. Waiting on a girl like you was a make out song, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Luke and Laura were my peeps! I lived and breathed that show for such a long time. Well, stepfather #3 had an interesting ending, which I will tell about in later blogs. My faith has truly been the cornerstone of my life, and prayer is a powerful part of that. I think the power comes in really having that relationship with God, though. It's not about me...:)

      Delete
  4. I'm loving your music theme and references to television shows! Sorry you experienced these difficulties in your family. Fellow A to Z participant.

    ReplyDelete