Saturday, April 30, 2016

Z is for Zeroing in on the Future


I am participating in the 2016 A-to-Z Blog Challenge. My theme is the music of my life.


In my earliest memory, I lay in my crib as a familiar face peered in at me. Margaret, our housekeeper who had been with the family since my mother was little, was practically part of the family.

“Law have mercy!” she exclaimed as she looked down at me. “This baby’s ripped off her diapers.”

Apparently, impatient to have someone deal with my wet diapers, I had simply pulled the plastic to pieces in an effort to remove them. This very early memory marks the impatience that has characterized much of my life.

As a culture, we are impatient people. We want everything now, and this unwillingness to wait, save, or use restraint has no doubt enslaved Americans to many a vice, debt, or heartbreak. I was no different. I was always striving for everything in the immediate—whether it was a husband, a baby, a bestselling novel, a different place to live, or just that thing I saw in the store—I struggled throughout my life with waiting on God’s timing.

Now in my forties, I’m just starting to get the hang of it. Jumping to that stone out in the middle of the lake before going to the Lord in prayer or seeking advice is a sure way of ending up in the lake. (Or covered in plastic strips of dirty diaper). Ecclesiastes 3:11 says, “He has made everything beautiful in His time.” Over the years I’ve found that many of my prayers were answered but much later than the original prayer. Knowing my character all too well, God forced me to wait for so many things because He wanted me to learn patience, the art of delayed gratification, and humility. I find that I’ve appreciated the delayed blessings much more than I might have had they come in the immediate.   

Zeroing in on the future, I see many things coming together in terms of my career, callings, and creativity. A steady, persistent prayer life and a disciplined willingness to work toward my goals are the things that sustain me daily.

And music. There is always the music…





I've enjoyed being a part of the A-to-Z Challenge this year in my walk down memory lane. The daily posts are sometimes to tough to upkeep, but the challenge is well worth it in the end. Another exercise in discipline.

If you were a participant, what was your experience with the A-to-Z Challenge this year?

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your life journey, Megan. Indeed God has really interesting ways to teach us patience. Like I said yesterday, God hasn't finished writing your story; it will be interesting to look back in five years or so and see how many more prayers have been answered!

    Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    I did enjoy the A/Z challenge; it is always a whirlwind month, but always a bit sad when it is over. It is nice to get back to a routine and not live on the keyboard, but if we didn't have the challenge and didn't participate in it, I'm sure we wouldn't find the blogs that we end up following afterwards and become friends through them, so the challenge is always a good thing!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful to have met you through this challenge, Betty!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say when I was here earlier that I'm really impressed about that early memory you have! My earliest memory has me in kindergarten and that's really fuzzy, but very consistently after the age of seven.

      betty

      Delete
  2. I had to go back and catch up because I missed a few along the way, but thank you for sharing your story. I wonder how cathartic it was for you to write about all of this. You could actually compile these and put them into an autobiography of sorts--a memoir.

    It's my last year with the challenge...it's a great way to meet people but I had to read (literally) 800 blogs to get about 20 people to comment back. Not worth the work. I did enjoy writing my mysteries, though, and I've already written another one for later in May. I plan to make it a regular part of my blog somehow. Just have to squeeze it in around the other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm questioning my involvement too. A lot of effort for little return.

      Delete
    2. I loved this topic, Steph! This will be my last year too. I need to do some regrouping and refiguring as things change for me, career-wise. It's a lot of writing and reading, I agree!

      Delete
    3. Haha--at least we aren't alone. I noticed a lot of IWSG-ers aren't participating when they did in the past. But yeah, no offense to those who love it, but most of the people participating don't seem to be there to meet other bloggers. Which is great for them--for me it was never about seeing if I could get to Z!

      Delete
  3. I didn't catch all of your posts but enjoyed the ones I did. This final post in particular strikes a chord with me. Impatience has characterized my life in some ways, and I managed to successfully combine that with selfishness for the past three years or so with the result that I wrecked my marriage. I'm only just now starting to get myself back where I belong, centred on Christ and others instead of myself. As for the A to Z...it's good for for my writing, but I'm not sure if I'll back up in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good news, D.A. I look forward to seeing how your life takes off from here!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you did the challenge - I loved learning more little details about your early life. But I KNOW it is so much work.
    It was fun seeing GNR's Patience video again! I too struggle with patience. I think the fast moving internet has made it worse for us all. If we push a button and have to wait 5 seconds for something to load it seems like eternity.
    I often have to remind myself that "God's time is not my time."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there's anything wrong with knowing what you want and pushing to get it - in fact, I think that's how successful people operate :)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post has been an answer to my prayers. I'm feeling writerly impatience, and God has been trying to tell me to wait. Then this morning I read your post. Thank you for visiting my blog @JEN Garrett's Lexical Creations because you had just the post I needed to read right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might have made my posts in a hurry. I am enriching them now.
    Keep visiting A to Z 2016 Blogs
    Congratulations for Successful A to Z 2016 Blog Writing.
    A to Z April Blogging Challenge 2016 - Co-Participant - Nrao - NRao Blogs
    @knoltweet
    NRao Blogs - 2016 A to Z Challenge Blog Posts
    NRao Indutrial Engineering Blog
    Join 2016 A to Z Post Challenge Road Trip

    ReplyDelete