Friday, April 15, 2016

M is for More Music

I am participating in the A-to-Z Blog Challenge. My theme is ... the music of my life.


In 1990, Pretty Woman was a hit movie and "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips was at the top of the Billboard Charts. I graduated from high school, began George Mason University’s music program, and dated my first boyfriend.

Dad #3 had disappeared and gone back to Germany resulting in a nasty cross-continental divorce. Mom and I saw it coming. His “business trips” back and forth to Germany lasted for longer and longer periods of time. The final straw was a six-month stint that effectively ended the marriage.

My mom remarried within the year to a wonderful man who adored her. His determination to win my approval meant that he accompanied me to ear-splitting rock concerts and endured housefuls of teenagers for “haunted house parties.” He was a happy, social guy with a lot of friends and a great smile. Everyone loved him. His laid-back and easy-going manner was a welcome change, and Mom and I both felt like we could breathe again.

My own life was consumed with the rocker boyfriend I’d finally found. Three years my senior (better than the ten-year-my-senior rocker from before), D was a talented guitarist I'd met while working at Toys R Us. I would date him for the next four years (until I began to develop feelings for his best friend, and then it all went south—a story for another time).

That fall I joined the music department at GMU and majored in voice. Most of the classical training for singing involved performing arias and learning operatic techniques. I sort of got a kick out of learning to sing with that kind of power and technical ability, but I really just wanted to rip some Skid Row or Queensryche.

The music department was a shock. I had never had formal music training before, and I suddenly had to learn how to analyze orchestral scores, sight-sing from sheets of music, and memorize symphonies and composers. After years of thinking I wanted to be a singer and/or an actress, my dreams and plans began to change.










Did you pursue the career path you originally intended?

6 comments:

  1. Glad your mom did find someone finally who did adore her and seemed to want to have a relationship with you too :)

    I did sort of pursue my career path. I always wanted to be a secretary; I did end up working in offices a lot, but still working in the field, just in a different capacity doing transcription. It was easier to do that and work at home when the kids were young than in an office :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work in the secretarial field too, Betty. I really enjoyed it (much more than what I do now).

      Delete
  2. Sounds like there a lot more to music than singing, and it seems there's a lot more to learn about you, especially your relationships. Falling for the best friend, oh dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these songs, particularly Silent Lucidity. I'm really going to have to go back and check out your other posts :-) Enjoy the rest of April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I loved Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" cd! And Skid Row too of course.
    When I was young I wanted to be a detective like Nancy Drew! Then I wanted to be a writer. Then an arson investigator. Then a probation officer. But the Lord led me to the better fit for me. :)

    ReplyDelete