Tuesday, April 12, 2016

J is for Jon Bon Jovi

I am participating in the 2016 A-to-Z Blog Challenge. My theme is ... the music of my life.


A strange thing happened at the end of my two years in middle school. A split in the county boundaries sent all of my friends to one high school and me to another one. I was right back to where I started in the 7th grade...knowing no one, and now I was an angry fourteen-year-old girl. This is when I discovered hard rock and heavy metal music.

Fortunately, Tanya--an acquaintance I had known in middle school--was now at the same high school, and over the course of the next year we became best friends.

Initially we bonded over a shared obsession: Jon Bon Jovi. We were both mad about him. The inside of our lockers were covered in pictures we had ripped from magazines of the wild-haired rocker and his band mates. Both of us taped the late-night MTV show, Headbangers' Ball, every weekend and then poured over the videos the next day while comparing notes on the  phone. We watched, rewound, and re-watched the videos for "Living on a Prayer" and "You Give Love a Bad Name." We were positively apoplectic over taped interviews with the rockers, and we regularly shared our favorite pictures out of the music magazines.

Bon Jovi was my "gateway drug" to other metal bands like Ratt, Motley Crue, Poison, and Skid Row. Many metal bands graced my locker walls over the years. My obsessions with bands came and went (just like a lot of the bands themselves), but thirty years later it pleases me to see that Bon Jovi is still out there rocking it!






What were some of your favorite bands in high school?

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh; I got to go back a lot of years, LOL, to remember high school and music. Rod Stewart comes to mind :)

    That was sad that it split like that with the school districts. It is hard to go to a school and not know anyone or just a few people and then try to "fit" in.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod Stewart! Yes, I loved his music. I especially loved his older songs like "Maggie."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been hard, being taken away from all your friends. Still -you nevr know when a negative is going to turn out fine after all... ~Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my husband was in his 20s, he was invited downtown by a work buddy. They were listening to a then-unknown band perform. All of a sudden, Jon Bon Jovi came over and sat down with them. He was there to hear the music and he knew my husband's friend's friend. (The friend was a songwriter--not sure who her friend was.) He still talks about the hour or so he got to spend hanging out with Jon Bon Jovi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! How fabulous! I would be so excited to have that experience (even now)!

      Delete
  5. Ah - the "good old days" of heavy metal music. You probably remember that Metallica was my number 1 band. Patrick and I recently considered going to a Motley Crue concert in Raleigh. (I had told him that the only bands I never saw that I had wanted to were Motley Crue and Alice Cooper!) But I actually didn't get into heavy metal music until I started college. High school years started out with country music (Alabama and Hank Williams Jr) and ended up with classic rock (which then was 60s and 70s music). I'm at a musical crises in life right now where I can't really find what I want to listen to - that doesn't bother someone in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, we have so many good memories of these years. I will never forget your Metallica obsession. We talked about our rock star loves ad infinitum at work, remember? The good old days. Ha!

      Delete